• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense White Habanero Review

haha awesome.  Nice review, Tardis.  They're one of my favorite peppers.  They are probably one of the oldest domesticated peppers and respond nicely to indoor conditions and human contact.  Overwinter that baby!  Or whatever you do in Hawaii lol

Helvete said:
haha awesome.  Nice review, Tardis.  They're one of my favorite peppers.  They are probably one of the oldest domesticated peppers and respond nicely to indoor conditions and human contact.  Overwinter that baby!
Thank you Helvete!  Great taste! Grown in Hawaii so no need to overwinter.  Just leave it outside where it wont drop below 60F year round. lol  (rare occasions it gets as low as 55F at night)

jakester said:
Nice job, lad! Will be looking for more reviews!

How did you prep your gut?
Prep my gut?  I didn't.  Didn't know that was a thing.  How should I be prepping my gut?

Haha white habs aren't nearly hot enough to truly worry about cramps.  I only prep my gut for eating supers personally.  By not having an empty stomach ;)

Some guys eat peanut butter, or something greasy, but you really ought to do something to help avoid cap cramps.

An empty stomach is definitely not the way to go...

Both dairy-based and fat/oil-saturated foodstuffs absorb capsaicinoids... and fatty dairy-based foods are quite effective if eaten within 20 minutes before ingesting something as hot as a white habanero. I understand that a Yucatan White Habanero can rate something like a 400,000 SHU, and your White Bullet Habanero looks like it comes from similar genetic lines.

I've mentioned this in previous posts, when it sems appropriate: i use capsaicinoids medicinally... when i combine them with oily or casein-containing (generally, this means any dairy-based food with any significant protein content -- milk, yogurt, cheese, etc.) foods, the capsaicinoids are 'trapped' in these foods and not released until the slow-digesting oils and proteins are digested. It means that a peanut butter sandwich, sprinkled with a bit of powdered superhot, is a timed-release medicinal package... as well as being far more interesting than a mere peanut-butter sandwich.

I've had occasions when, on an empty stomach, i've ingested half a ghost pepper to alleviate neuropathy: the mild nausea and heartburn have been OK with me when i consider how much pain relief i get, but if i can wait long enough to first eat a light lunch i can be almost assured of not having even a mild digestive irritation.

A peanut-butter or cheese sandwich, plus a glass of milk (or a bowl of yogurt), immediately prior to your next review (especially if you're going to review something like a White Hab -- those are in the same league as Bahamian Goat, Red Savina Habs, and Congo Peppers !!), may prevent or minimize your stomach issues.

ajdrew said:
Haven't grown the white.  Can you tell me, do they finish white?

This is an interesting point... years ago, Yucatan White Habaneros had a reputation for poor germination rates... the most likely hypothesis ventured suggested that the fruits weren't fully ripe when harvested for seed.
Just speculating here : with a white-as-matured-fruit color, it may be difficult to discern when the fruit is fully matured.
Although i haven't grown them out, i seem to remember that the Yucatan strain of white habanero turned a 'cream' or faint yellow/amber shade at full maturity.

mikeg said:
This is an interesting point... years ago, Yucatan White Habaneros had a reputation for poor germination rates... the most likely hypothesis ventured suggested that the fruits weren't fully ripe when harvested for seed.
Just speculating here : with a white-as-matured-fruit color, it may be difficult to discern when the fruit is fully matured.
Although i haven't grown them out, i seem to remember that the Yucatan strain of white habanero turned a 'cream' or faint yellow/amber shade at full maturity.
Interesting to bring this up, I have grown a few Yucatan white habs over the years and even have a 3rd year plant right now.  The first season I grew them one of my plants actually had more yellow/ivory fruits.  They tasted the same and were about the same heat but I think it may have been a mutation.  I ended up not propagating the yellow one again because the plant itself was inferior in production and size.  I've spread many seeds for the strain them and the germination rate is usually great as far as I know.  One of my coworkers last year had an entire flat of them! 

I've noticed that if there's any green on the fruit near the calyx it's probably not ripe.  Best way to tell if you're unsure is to leave one on the plant for a long time (I know, I know it's hard to do)...these white habs put off enough fruits you won't notice.
mpicante said:
Nice review... I like white habs.Not too sure about prep work but when you start eating the supers it cant hurt i guess.

People mention heartburn and hiccoughs but I was talking about the cramps from eating raw Morugas on an empty stomach...where it feels like someone grabbed your spine and has it in their fist

mikeg said:
Both dairy-based and fat/oil-saturated foodstuffs absorb capsaicinoids... and fatty dairy-based foods are quite effective if eaten within 20 minutes before ingesting something as hot as a white habanero. I understand that a Yucatan White Habanero can rate something like a 400,000 SHU, and your White Bullet Habanero looks like it comes from similar genetic lines.

I've mentioned this in previous posts, when it sems appropriate: i use capsaicinoids medicinally... when i combine them with oily or casein-containing (generally, this means any dairy-based food with any significant protein content -- milk, yogurt, cheese, etc.) foods, the capsaicinoids are 'trapped' in these foods and not released until the slow-digesting oils and proteins are digested. It means that a peanut butter sandwich, sprinkled with a bit of powdered superhot, is a timed-release medicinal package... as well as being far more interesting than a mere peanut-butter sandwich.

I've had occasions when, on an empty stomach, i've ingested half a ghost pepper to alleviate neuropathy: the mild nausea and heartburn have been OK with me when i consider how much pain relief i get, but if i can wait long enough to first eat a light lunch i can be almost assured of not having even a mild digestive irritation.

A peanut-butter or cheese sandwich, plus a glass of milk (or a bowl of yogurt), immediately prior to your next review (especially if you're going to review something like a White Hab -- those are in the same league as Bahamian Goat, Red Savina Habs, and Congo Peppers !!), may prevent or minimize your stomach issues.
THIS Is really great advice and very great information! Thank you!

I've grown white habs for a few years, I've noticed some variability among the phenotypes; some of the plants produce fruit that is more elongate while others are small and round. They all start off ripening to a cream/ivory color, but I find the longer they're left on the plant the closer to white they become. 

I like them because they stay compact, they're prolific, and they're not particularly fussy, they're usually my only plant that actually produces peppers during winter even sitting next to a window (not many, but a few is better than none). I usually keep them in a pot because they'd get crowded out by taller plants if I put them in the ground.

Helvete said:
Interesting to bring this up, I have grown a few Yucatan white habs over the years and even have a 3rd year plant right now.  The first season I grew them one of my plants actually had more yellow/ivory fruits.  They tasted the same and were about the same heat but I think it may have been a mutation.  I ended up not propagating the yellow one again because the plant itself was inferior in production and size.  I've spread many seeds for the strain them and the germination rate is usually great as far as I know.  One of my coworkers last year had an entire flat of them! 

I've noticed that if there's any green on the fruit near the calyx it's probably not ripe.  Best way to tell if you're unsure is to leave one on the plant for a long time (I know, I know it's hard to do)...these white habs put off enough fruits you won't notice.

People mention heartburn and hiccoughs but I was talking about the cramps from eating raw Morugas on an empty stomach...where it feels like someone grabbed your spine and has it in their fist
i coulda merely liked this... but i hadda quote it. Nice to know that you're spreading the seed of hard-to-find land-race strains to others... i had to order from a firm in Europe (Tastypeppers.nl) to be certain it was the Yucatan strain.

Thank you, man... it's nice to know that somebody will always be preserving and distributing these heritage strains.

Back