• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Please recommend me an annum that is*HOT*

:mouthonfire:

Hi all.

Please could you recommend me a *HOT* annum? I like the typical cayenne, birdseye types of flavour, without the "lemoney" taste of the chinensis. I also like it pretty, pretty hot; as in, sweat over the forehead and the top of the head, runny nose, almost numb mouth, throat on fire, stomach-burn-for-a-few-minutes hot.

I started growing ghosts, habaneros etc in search of the heat. However, given my geographical location and facilities, growing chinensis chillies is a very long way less than ideal, and the year on year flops is such that I am considering a Plan B, that is, growing annums instead.

Last year I had some success with a store bought "Super Chilli". An annum chilli that grows to about just over a foot tall, produces continously, with fruits that point upwards. The flavour  but the heat is a bit too laid back for my cup of tea.

Looking forward to you guys' suggestions. Many thanks.

The hottest annum i've tried is Purira (i've seen it classified as frutescens somewhere, but most sources include it in the annum species). It's a beautiful plant with beautiful, quite hot, pods.
I find puriras very good to powder and to make sauces, not so much to pickle and i can't cook with them because my kitchen doesn't have an extractor and i've intoxicated my house a couple of times.
I've seen its heat reported to be about 100.000 scoville units.

^^^^^What he said^^^^^

Goat's Weed is my go-to annuum.It's a bit seedy when fully ripe (typical of var glabriusculum they are also very hard) but far less so when full-sized but haven't changed colour from black to red.  At that stage the seeds are soft but the heat is fully developed.

+1s for goat's weed and tepin/pequin. Pequins and chiltepins have kind of a toasted, nutty flavor that I really like. Goat's weed are very different - they have a really sharp, kind of sour flavor that may take some getting used to. When I grew them for the first time last season, I hated them at first, but I picked and dried them despite thinking about pulling the plant to make room for something else. Since then I have used a lot of goat's weed flakes and have come to really appreciate the flavor. I especially like them in tomato sauce or on pizza. 
     Both are on the hot end for annuums, but they have very different flavors. The flavor of the goat's weed seems to make them taste spicier than they really are. Pretty painful if you're not expecting it.

Thanks everyone... The Goats Weed, Purira, definitely look promsing and resemble something that we grew at home when I was a small child.

The Pusa Jwala, Thai Dragon, Sandabarha all look like they can pack a sizeable punch and I would live to try them out.

A bit unsure about the tepins... but that means I should try them out all the more!!! :dance:
THANKS!!
:cheers:

Calamari Kid said:
Thanks everyone... The Goats Weed, Purira, definitely look promsing and resemble something that we grew at home when I was a small child.

The Pusa Jwala, Thai Dragon, Sandabarha all look like they can pack a sizeable punch and I would live to try them out.

A bit unsure about the tepins... but that means I should try them out all the more!!! :dance:
THANKS!!
:cheers:
As other have said Goats weed (aka Black Cobra) and Sadabahar for the cayenne style. I think there neck and neck as far as heat. I've grown both every year. Both are quite easy to grow. Goat weed has a longer maturity date then the Sadabahar. I think the Goats weed is great as a ornamental. They both grow upright. The Sad's have a more cluster formation and have a longer pod.

Tepin on the wild side. I grow them as well. They are my additive to certain sauces. Long maturity date as well. Hotter than both of the above mentioned, but is short lived, as far as heat. For me anyway. LOL

Just my opinion by experience.

Good luck and have fun.

Goat's Weed is a great choice, as someone who has grown them I think you should be prepared to Overwinter the plant as the first season it doesnt produce very well.  At least that was my experience, however the second season I had multitudes of peppers and it produced like crazy! 

Just my thoughts

A Spicy English Cheapskate said:
Don't limit yourself to annums. Bacattums are also good growers in our climate. And though i haven't grown them personally pubscens should do well too and are nice and hot.

Thanks - but either that I have the Death Touch or some dud seeds... Had 2 baccatum plants which grew out nice and strong but one day they just wilted and died. Two plants in the same pot. They might have been Marupi Armaela or something of the sort. They had the same treatment as all other plants - same regime, same nutes etc... As for the pubscences (sp?) Well they never even germinated, despite the super hots germinating fine. One more thing with the pubscences is that they are relatively thick fleshed. I am hoping to dry them... :mope:

Anyway, I am looking for some specific traits/flavours which normally come from annums, hence I am considering growing them - plus, my available space for growing them is pretty miniscule. Not gonna grow chilli plants this year - I want chillies, not leaves, or plants that drop dead, for that matter. ;)

Managed to source some Hawks' Claws seeds and they are being germinated now. Fingers crossed that they grow!

Back