just joining

howdy all you pepper freaks.
i'm up this morning surfing and came across this site and perused it for a while and decided to join so my knowledge can continue to grow. growing up in central texas my family was very meat and potatoes......spicy or hot was not in my house, except when the old man was drunk and would slip a bunch of tobasco into the sphaghetti sauce on saturday nights(every sat. night). this i learned not too many years ago. it would piss mom off for RUINING her sauce she told me recently. for me i just grew up thinking sphaghetti just burned your lips badly. so for me, even though texan bred, i grew up where xalapenos killed, and so i didn't enlighten my taste buds with "adventure" till my adulthood (whenever that might happen). when i got older i started gardening, because theres nothing like home grown food for taste buds. anyway, something like 4 years ago i tried growing some red bell peppers and really loved growing and watching these pepper plants(this should have been a warning--- that i enjoyed watching the pepper plants grow so much). the next year i grew serranos and an orange habanero....yes i know, might as well jump right in and give it a shot......and IF I GROW IT, I'M GOONA EAT IT. these days my heat index is way higher than 4 years ago....i'll try just about anything. i even have a naga jolokia this year which is JUST putting on blooms and not sure i'll eat one if it does form....i'm "scairt". this year i have 32 potted peppers and about 14? varieties. most are hot, but some are mild. i quit trying chinense(except the NJ) because they take soooo long to set pods/ripen. we have a short and damp growing season here in western washington, especially living on an island and the maritime climate, so we have to pray to the pepper goddesses that we have indian summers. this year we basically had no spring and barely a summer. only in the last 3 weeks did we have nightime temps of 55 degrees F.and higher....and it is now feeling like fall already. looks like it might not be much of a harvest this year.....come on indian summer. my quest is to either find or breed a stuffing pepper for rellenos that has some/more heat, or at least more than the typical anaheim and poblanos....any suggestions? also, a month ago i brought back a chilitepin volunteer from a plant in texas out by the family farm...a neighbors actually. it has just started blooming and i am thrilled about that. i love those little suckers to carry in a film container and pop a few each day...just a little shot to get the sweat glands active for a bit. i'm hoping i can overwinter at least the chilitepin. typically my plants have been aphid gang raped no matter what i've done when i've brought them in the house. ladybugs would not be allowed by my wife.....maybe if i just have the one plant it will work out....if not i have seed for next spring. ok, well i seemed to have babbled enough for you folks to know i can be long winded...please bare with me....i'm just here for the fun. hope all of you are podded up and maybe smoking some for the dark winter months-----peas n pods---bob

Hi Bob,

I'm new here, myself and have been blown away by the friendliness of the members of this forum. You'll love it, too! I know the pain of the short growing season and the bugs on the plants you try to over-winter (and the wife complaining about the bugs on the plants you try to over-winter!) But what can we do when we live where we live and love those fresh peppers?

Welcome to the forum, from Manitoba.

Welcome again Bob -- I saw your other post in the announcements. Nice intro -- Dont be scairt of the Naga Jolokia (Frutescens) medium heat and seedy.... enjoy

Back