• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Prik Kee Noo Pepper

Hi -

I am looking for Prik Kee Noo seeds.  I have seen the name applied to at least a couple of different Thai varieties but I want to grow the pepper that the attached article shows.

I used to go to a Thai restaurant several times a week for lunch that cooked Southern Thailand style (Phuket) and these guys always served lunch with a bowl of Nam Pla with chopped up Prik Kee Noo peppers which I thought was awesome.

I have many different pepper seeds I would certainly be willing to trade.

Thanks in advance - Bob

http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/ingredients/pkn.html

Prik Kee Nu Chinda Dum Black-are they the same?

I have a lot of different S.Korean,Thai ( prik ki this or that.) ,Japanese ,Filipeno and Chinese peppers too.
Stuff that I have no idea what it is-pack is written in another language.
Most are from whatever Country,Some are Landrace and some are Commercially packed.

Don't know how many I have in numbers to trade without checking...

I have no idea...

What I remember is that they looked similar to the pictures in the attached article and they had a very unique taste which I really liked.

Many of these were from Thailand....

10479913_854027057964355_4680469156269095851_o.jpg

Joyner -

Do you have all of those varieties?  The Chalprakam and Pedsiam are pretty close.

Bob_B said:
Joyner -

Do you have all of those varieties?  The Chalprakam and Pedsiam are pretty close.

To be honest, all of the red Thai chili I have tried.... 5 from that list all have the same flavor profile.  If I grow Thai chili now I always grow the ones that are bigger and easier to harvest.   I do search for other Thai chili with unique flavor like the Orange Thai pictured, I like the White Thai pepper a great deal as well simply because in the white pepper stage they have a very mild flavor and no soapiness like the red chili but at final stage of ripeness they turn a blistering red and take on the same flavor profile as almost any other Thai red.

Just my thoughts and good luck in your search. 

jedisushi06 said:
same as the rat turd chile?
Yes - it goes by that name also.  It's also known as bird's eye.  It's an annuum not to be confused with the frutescens that looks similar.  It's the traditional pepper used in Nam Pla Prik - which the Thais use as table sauce for almost any dish.  I find this particular pepper quite unique in taste - one that I really like.  I used to go to a Thai restaurant here in Panama City and they would stuff them in their home made sausage which was excellent.  Not every piece of sausage had the small pepper - reminded me of King Cake at Mardi Gras; except instead of possibly getting the baby in your King Cake, you got this spicy surprise in your sausage.

Back