• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

What odd vegetables do you grow?

I will be growing a selection of odd veggies this year, in fact I think my peppers are the most "normal" plants I will have this year.
Oh, and my summer squash and one special butternut that I saved from plants i grew last year. They turned out as mini butternut squash just perfect size for two people.

Thinking on this topic, I gotta get my gourds in.  They are so long season but cause they are not food I always put them off.  Kids love snake cords, let them dry and they are kind of like funky rain sticks.  Have bottle cords turned bird houses that need water proofed and put out.  Different colors, plan to hang in trees.

vegetables and fruits I'm guessing...

I grow all kinds of weird produce, last year I had several Solanum nigrum and related S. nigrum complex plants that produced wonderfully.  I grew a crap ton of kiwano melons one year, that was pretty unusual.  I grow a lot of weird things but many aren't edible.  I had a pineapple that I started from a leftover top one year, it actually seemed weird to me...even though people keep bromeliads as houseplants all the time.

The oddest thing growing in my yard this year will be some various ornamental peppers and some middle east types of bell peppers. Everything else would be considered normal. 

Depends on what your threshold for funny plants are. I'm growing both white and purple carrots this year, as well as ones that are completely round. A courgette that looks like a white UFO, not sure what they're called. I think some of my peppers look adorably weird. I'm growing beans that aren't available in Sweden, I had a friend from USA send me those. I have a cucumber plant that gives up to 400 fruits per plant, they look normal but that's a lot of fruit. 

I love to try and grow odd stuff that you can't find at grocery stores or markets. This year I'm growing some Tigger Melon (they are small and tiger striped), Dragon carrots (big purple carrots), the round Parisian carrots, Black Beauty zucchini, and Lemon cucumbers (they really look like lemons...)  :P

Comptine said:
Depends on what your threshold for funny plants are. I'm growing both white and purple carrots this year, as well as ones that are completely round. A courgette that looks like a white UFO, not sure what they're called. I think some of my peppers look adorably weird. I'm growing beans that aren't available in Sweden, I had a friend from USA send me those. I have a cucumber plant that gives up to 400 fruits per plant, they look normal but that's a lot of fruit. 
what kind of cucumber variety ? and pics of the plant ?

SavinaRed said:
what king of cucumber variety ? and pics of the plant ?

I haven't planted them yet, it's still too cold here. But these are the seed packs, the left one is called white sugar and the right one polar bear. Mum picked them up in Russia last time she was there. I'll be growing both this year. 

I'm not doing anything too weird, but I'm always trying new varieties. This year I'm doing some amaranth, a couple unusual cucumbers (Dragon's Egg, Sikkim), Thai Rai Kaw Tok Pumpkin, and Ahka Striped Bean, to name a few.

(If you couldn't tell, I like Baker Creek seeds... )

Sunchokes. A first for me.. tzimbalo melon...bitter melon (apple shaped) yacon tuber... molokai purple sweet potato.

Asian winged beans... dragon egg.. hmong red cukes

synclinorium said:
I'm not doing anything too weird, but I'm always trying new varieties. This year I'm doing some amaranth, a couple unusual cucumbers (Dragon's Egg, Sikkim), Thai Rai Kaw Tok Pumpkin, and Ahka Striped Bean, to name a few.

(If you couldn't tell, I like Baker Creek seeds... )

My wife is obsessed with Baker Creek seeds.. but it's a much cheaper addiction than shoe shopping! Our Dragon's Egg plants always put out un-Godly numbers of cukes  :D

This season we're trying  "three sisters" planting w/ Glass Gem corn (rainbow colors), mother stallard beans, and long island cheese pumpkins.

Strangest for me is a dry bean I got from a seed exchange. I was told it is a Anasazi bean. Legend says it was an old heirloom that was thought to be lost until some archeologist found a clay pot in a cave full of beans and some of them germinated. Grows like crazy and self germinates if you don't pick them all in time. Can't vouch for authenticity but it is an interesting bean and very tasty.

Back