• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

capsaicin dilution

Hey guys, I am sorry if this is not the coorect place to post this.

I am conducting a scientific experiment where I need to make dilutions relating to an approximate SHU for testing.
Truth be told I have already run the experiement but had a horrible after though where I made an assumption.

My question is thus:
Can we approximately predict the SHU rating of diluted oil based on the capsaicinoid alkaloid concentration?

So without having access to the resources for testing many different batches each at different rates of dilution I had to make assumptions about the SHU at each rate of dilution.
I purchased a 1,000,000 SHU extract and diluting that by half with rape oil I should half the alkaloid concentration and achieve an approximate 500,000 SHU. That's 25ml of each for instance. This obviously isn't completely accurate but is it a bad assumption?

Thanks in advance guys

Your assumptions are right. 

50% 1mil SHU extract diluted with 50% oil = 500,000 SHU
25% 1mil extract diluted with 75% oil = 250,000 SHU

Use measurements by weight, if possible, for a more accurate equation. 

I just realised I wrote content rather than concentration. I am glad it didn't cause any confusion.

Thank you both so much.

salsalady said:
Use measurements by weight, if possible, for a more accurate equation. 

Well that's where I got stuck previously. I was going to measure by weight until I realised that the extract and the rape oil are going to be two different molecular densities and because the extract clearly isn't pure I can't find information on its' density to compensate, and I lack the equipment for sufficient temperature control to sustain that density anyway. Volume alone will have to be sufficient.

Thanks again guys, very helpful.

Back