shipping Shipping included vs. Adding Shipping online

I have been toying with the idea of building shipping costs into our online prices and doing away with the additional shipping costs added on. Anyone have any opinion on what's better? 

I feel like Amazon Prime has turned paying for shipping into something that is viewed as 'evil'. 

Peace!
Bob

I think that the flop of department store JC Penney's no sale strategy proves that people like to think they are getting a deal.  If prices are a little higher, the customer will only remember the "Free Shipping" at checkout, and think they got a decent deal.  I've also experimented with prolific free shipping coupon codes.  Even if everyone gets one, there is something about finding a code that everyone likes.

Personally, I hate it when I think I'm getting a great price only to have $20 worth of shipping added on.   :mope:  :)

Thanks! I know what you mean - I am sure I'm losing sales when they are presented with the shipping charges at checkout. I already discount multi-packs on the site - and also take an additional 10% off so they are 'on sale'. But it seems that even if they cost per bottle were higher and included shipping it would still be better. 

I don't mind paying for shipping.  It's when I get charged like $16 to ship something that I know costs $6.80 that I feel ripped off.  

Most consumers/customers really don't understand how much shipping costs anyway though, so perhaps it's best just to build shipping costs into your products and then 'give' them the FREE SHIPPING bit.

Shipping costs can suck....and somrtimes they are fair....example ...I can order from amazon and get free shipping.....I order from a cigar shop in B.C...which is the opposite side of Canada for me but he only charges $9.95 for shipping in Canada....................worst example is this ....just this week had to order a specialty bulb for the oven...$3.95 ...shipping $13.00....the place is not a 25 minute drive from the house....I ordered two bulbs just to try and justify that shipping cost.......really burns my azz sometimes........for me to get anything shipped too or from the U.S....forget it....especially with the exchange rate.

This is one of the reasons I like Costco....bought a few things online from them......liked the price of the item and shipping was included.

shipping is tough.  Assuming we're talking about sauces...if the sauces are 5oz148ml, 3 bottles can fit in a small flat rate box for $5.95-ish.  Most of my bottles are 10-12oz.  A 12oz bottle of BBQ weighs over a pound and costs about $9 to ship a $7 bottle (must go priority, too heavy for First Class).  The only way it is economical for customers is to buy 4 or more bottles of sauces, which goes into a Medium Flat Rate Box for about $11.50.  I can fit 8-10 bottles in a Medium box, so that makes it worthwhile.  But not everyone wants to buy 8 bottles of sauces.... 

International?   fuggetaboutit~  International Medium FRB is about $60.  Yes...that is $60 shipping!

I've also run into what Sizzle Lips talked about, paying $3x the cost for shipping...funny thing - it was also for light bulbs!  :lol: and there again I knew it was only about $5 max for shipping. 

If you can work it out so shipping can be included, you may get more sales.  Especially single bottle sales. 

Back