• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

I was kicking myself for being late to germ.......

F569V6P.jpg

Until we got snowed on and I remembered I live in Michigan.... 

:cheers:

(Almost) know that feeling. What you have there, will be a bunch of plants that will over winter for 2016, and kick off to a flying start in 2017!

As for me, I have 6 months to decide on my lighting and heating rig for my 2016 over-winter-project. :)

Calamari Kid said:
:cheers:

(Almost) know that feeling. What you have there, will be a bunch of plants that will over winter for 2016, and kick off to a flying start in 2017!

As for me, I have 6 months to decide on my lighting and heating rig for my 2016 over-winter-project. :)

Ahhhh dont tell me that! I'm really hoping for some fruit this year!
cubbieblue82 said:
snow!!! dang, man. good luck this season :D
Thank you, I'll definitely need it!

Helvete said:
Never too late to germinate if you're growing year round ;)
I would love to hear more about that,,,, I know plenty of people with indoor gardens for..... things..... but I'm wondering about the cost/benefit for something like peppers..... Then again, I'm sure your available pepper list up there is even worse than mine in Michigan, so it may worth $3/pepper in light bills to get some variety.....

rolson12178 said:

I would love to hear more about that,,,, I know plenty of people with indoor gardens for..... things..... but I'm wondering about the cost/benefit for something like peppers..... Then again, I'm sure your available pepper list up there is even worse than mine in Michigan, so it may worth $3/pepper in light bills to get some variety.....
WIth lighting I use T5HO, the ballasts are notably less costly for startup and the bulb replacement (about once a year per bulb) is phenomenally more economic than other bulb types at $8-12 each.  I can maintain 80-90ºF in my grow tent with florescent bulbs.  Even without using indoor growing you can keep plants alive in a window during winter although you may not get any fruit worth mentioning.  Check out the overwintering thread in the Growing Hot Peppers forum if you are interesting...the Grow Tech forum has a lot more information about lighting.  Welcome to THP! :mouthonfire:

Yup, saw the snow "flurries" this morning which then developed into a light "blanket" of snow by the end of the day...

"Shakes head in disbelief"

Helvete said:
WIth lighting I use T5HO, the ballasts are notably less costly for startup and the bulb replacement (about once a year per bulb) is phenomenally more economic than other bulb types at $8-12 each.  I can maintain 80-90ºF in my grow tent with florescent bulbs.  Even without using indoor growing you can keep plants alive in a window during winter although you may not get any fruit worth mentioning.  Check out the overwintering thread in the Growing Hot Peppers forum if you are interesting...the Grow Tech forum has a lot more information about lighting.  Welcome to THP! :mouthonfire:
So do you poduce fruit with fluorescent light? or just keep plants chugging along/supplement natural light? Ypu said grow tent---are you doing a year-long hoophouse-type operation??? I wouldnt think florescent would produce wenough heat to keep that warm.... Show me your ways, sensei!

rolson12178 said:
So do you poduce fruit with fluorescent light? or just keep plants chugging along/supplement natural light? Ypu said grow tent---are you doing a year-long hoophouse-type operation??? I wouldnt think florescent would produce wenough heat to keep that warm.... Show me your ways, sensei!

Check out this guy:

https://plus.google.com/118382364204627409312/posts

Details of his grow kit is to the left of the screen.

I have plants that fruit under fluorescent lights, but they won't do it under normal t5 they need the heat from HO bulbs, which require a HO ballast.  It's not efficient to grow year round under natural light this far north, there isn't enough to heat your greenhouse for 3 months.  You'd have to use light supplements and a heater just to keep it warm enough.

rolson12178 said:

cost is no object if your really into the hobby ,  no different than a hot rod , fancy fishing boat /gear , sports /concert tickets , 4 wheelers , musical instruments  etc. you get my drift . but yes they'll bloom indoors ,  look little shabu , shabu , under just  16/8 light . 
IMG_1011-2.JPG

rolson12178 said:

If you're around Pontiac, I'd be happy to give you some of my plants.Granted, I've only started them 2 months ago, but they're chugging along; and I expect they'll be producing this summer.

moruga welder said:

cost is no object if your really into the hobby ,  no different than a hot rod , fancy fishing boat /gear , sports /concert tickets , 4 wheelers , musical instruments  etc. you get my drift . but yes they'll bloom indoors ,  look little shabu , shabu , under just  16/8 light . 
attachicon.gif
IMG_1011-2.JPG

Helvete said:
I agree, I dumped thousands into my gardening hobbies before I moved.  It's just like having a sports car hobby, if you love it you spend money on it ;)

Oh god... you guys are going to be terrible (awesome) influences.... Part of my issue is I've already got plenty of expensive hobbies.... On the other hand,the ol' lady should be happy that I'm eating more fruits and veggies!
Maligator said:
Yup, saw the snow "flurries" this morning which then developed into a light "blanket" of snow by the end of the day...

"Shakes head in disbelief"

Where in Mich?
Myxlplyk said:

If you're around Pontiac, I'd be happy to give you some of my plants.Granted, I've only started them 2 months ago, but they're chugging along; and I expect they'll be producing this summer.
Oooh..... we may have to talk... I'm between Brighton and A2, but i would love to meet up and chat and/or snag some sprouts! 

rolson12178 said:

Oh god... you guys are going to be terrible (awesome) influences.... Part of my issue is I've already got plenty of expensive hobbies.... On the other hand,the ol' lady should be happy that I'm eating more fruits and veggies!

Where in Mich?

Oooh..... we may have to talk... I'm between Brighton and A2, but i would love to meet up and chat and/or snag some sprouts! 

i suggest you eat more veggies ! lol

rolson12178 said:

No problem. Give me some time, tho. I'm a trucker, and won't be home until somewhere around the 15th. I'll let you know.

I don't have numbers of different kinds on me. All I know is I have a lot of MoA SBs. But I grew about 6 of several different kinds because I'm growing for family as well. I don't have too many super hots, however. Last time I was home (beginning of March) I planted some bhuts and scorpion seeds that I got from ebay (eek). I'll hook you up.

Back