Hello from Pennsylvania

Hi everybody!

I started out on Thai chiles (birds eye?) about a year ago.  Last night I had my first habanero, chewed for 1 - 1.5 minutes, then waited another 5 minutes before drinking any fluids (milk in this case).  It was mildly uncomfortable, but nothing I couldn't handle.  I have a second habanero in the fridge that I might eat this weekend.

I think I'll try to upgrade to Ghost chiles soon.  My supermarket sells them dried.  I'll probably start with a half-pod (don't want to be this guy LOL).

I just came to this forum looking to learn about how to up my flame-game.  Any suggestions are welcome, I'm sure I'll learn a lot by browsing the other sub-forums here!

Welcome to The Hot Pepper :)

As for upping your game...practice practice practice...eat those chillies and you'll build a tolerance...just don't go overboard...trust your gut ;)

Cool, I guess I'll keep on with the habaneros for a while then.  How long does it take to build a tolerance?  Do the next-day effects get better?

Welcome.
Welcome-Languages-1.jpg

:welcome: from Hawaii!!
Don't push yourself too fast. Peppers are meant to be enjoyed.
I used to think habaneros and ghost's were a big deal but there are so many more tastier and spicier peppers out there.
In just a couple months there will be a lot of members here who will have some awesome pods for sale. Check them out, you won't be disappointed.
In any case, Enjoy :fireball: :fireball: :onfire: :fireball: :fireball:

:welcome:  to the THP forums!

Listen to Hawaiianero, take it slow and enjoy the whole experience. Jumping from habs to ghosts is a BIG leap! Just a small warning!

One note about habanero's- they (can) have a HUGE variance among them! All this depending on where you purchase them, time of year, place or origin, etc. (from my personal experience). Over the past 2 years I've had some that literally have zero heat and were just wonderfully fruity flavored, to others I had that literally scared me with their intensity! Habanero's 'generally' aren't that hot, but whenever I read someone stating that they aren't hot at all, I imagine they are getting the mild/heat-less ones. One day they will get a screamer batch that will put some fear in them! Lol. I had a batch from my local Mexican grocery about a month ago that was the hottest I think I've yet to eat besides the ones locally grown that show up at my farmer's market for a short while every year. These crazy hot ones had much visible oil lining the interior placental walls and emitted an extremely strong 'chinense' odor we all know. I don't think they could sell these at the 'regular' grocery stores, I'd imagine some gringo's might sue for damages! I ate 1/4 to 1/2 pods with them... no popping whole ones like I usually do!   ;)

And by 'next day effects', I'm guessing your talking about 'ring sting' as some people call it... the ol' 'burning ring of fire'! Haha. Yes, it does from what I've read (was never an issue for me). Just like with the mouth (mucous membranes), more frequent exposure will build a tolerance so as it not being as much an issue, or not at all. What really is uncomfortable is when you may go overboard and end up producing an overabundance of stomach acid which when released certainly burns! Now gas/cramps when eating peppers, that's another story- I get and hate that more than anything! I'd happily switch that effect with one of those people who gets hiccups.... Wait till you get the radiating pain that goes up your jaw line and with pressure and fire bursts into your ear canals, that's always fun! Go slow, enjoy!

Thanks for the greetings and advice everyone!

I'm not really sure where the hab I had a couple days ago ranked on the mild-hab/hot-hab scale, but it seemed hot to me.  I'll heed your words of wisdom and take it slow.

Back