• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New to Peppers, need some advice!

Recently i bought three "Bonnie" plants from home depot, they all have these organic, i guess you can call them cardboard shells. When planting my habanero, the organic pot fell apart and i planted it anyways in a normal pot.  I also planted a cayenne, and a golden cayenne, but with these i kept the organic pot on as the instructions on the wrapper stated.

Ive noticed my habanero is drooping in daylight and perks up at night.  Also when i bought the Golden cayenne it had a nice little flower and several other buds.  I placed it in a pot with good soil and a decent amount of water (but not too much) ; and now its drooping heavily, has one leaf thats yellow, and the once beautiful flower is now all shrivelled up :(

Is this transplant shock? 

Miami sun is intense.  I'd move them to some partial shade until they perk up.  It would be worth checking them for critters too.  If you are disciplined with watering and have them in potting soil they should be fine.

I probably had 20 leaves and 10 flowers fall tonight.  It hurts, but I wouldn't get too worried.  Peppers are surprisingly resilient once they get past the seedling stage.   :cheers:

Edit: Welcome by the way!    

NeedsWork said:
Miami sun is intense.  I'd move them to some partial shade until they perk up.  It would be worth checking them for critters too.  If you are disciplined with watering and have them in potting soil they should be fine.

I probably had 20 leaves and 10 flowers fall tonight.  It hurts, but I wouldn't get too worried.  Peppers are surprisingly resilient once they get past the seedling stage.   :cheers:

Edit: Welcome by the way!    
Thanks for the advice! Ive been using a light organic homemade pesticide made with garlic and water.  They are also within a screen enclosure.  I check for bugs everyday and have found none other than ants and the occasional spider.  I will put it in shade as you advised! Thanks for the warm welcome! :dance:

They may be getting more daily sun exposure than they were in the shelf placement at HD. They could be acclimating to this. 

Also, the soil those plants come in dry out rather quickly. Their roots probably haven't grown out of that mixture and into the beds/bigger pots yet.

FYI I always remove them from those biodegradable pots. They don't dissolve into the soil as quick as you'd think, and I'd rather not hinder root movement.

Definitely give them a bit of shade! I've had the same issues in South Louisiana lately. Move them into direct sun and heat too soon and I get a lot of drooping. I've just worked them into full sun a bit slower.

I too get rid of those pots the come in. They don't decompose hardly at all!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Spicy Mushroom said:
They may be getting more daily sun exposure than they were in the shelf placement at HD. They could be acclimating to this. 

Also, the soil those plants come in dry out rather quickly. Their roots probably haven't grown out of that mixture and into the beds/bigger pots yet.

FYI I always remove them from those biodegradable pots. They don't dissolve into the soil as quick as you'd think, and I'd rather not hinder root movement.
Is it okay if i leave them in the shell? I really don't want to risk killing the plant by removing it again from the new pot and man handling it.  I did though, remove the shell from the habanero plant when i moved it to its new pot and it seems do well as long as it has shade.  I think most of the plants i've seen out in the sun here in Miami are all drooping because of the intense heat.

It's fine if you leave it in. I'm sure lots of people do. I literally never have, and I don't lose my plants by taking them out and transferring them. I can't recall one time I lost one as a result. I think your issue is that it's drying out and needs watering. The surrounding soil is probably damp and giving you the impression it doesn't need to be watered. My point is the roots likely haven't gone beyond the mix it came with.

You might also consider shade cloth in general if your sun/heat is intense. My summers are brutal. This last grow season was my best year and the only thing I added was shade cloth. I used 40% Aluminet, but there are cheaper alternatives.

Back