• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Cajun Belle: Is it stable?

A friend of mine gave me some Cajun Belle seeds he saved from last year.  Never heard of them so looked up.  It is a sweet belle with mild heat.  It is listed as a hybrid, but that does not mean they arent stable.  Still, some crosses never become stable.

So question is, does anyone have experience saving the seeds enough to know the answer?

So I tried growing some from some seeds I have saved making sure it wasn't crossed. Definitely wasn't stable :( it was a nice lil pepper but I have found others that are just as awesome like the Aleppo. Thicker skin so more taste I thought, about the same heat, larger pepper, and stable.

I grew them 3 years in a row. They produced pretty good for me. Tastewise I would rate them as similar to cherry bombs. I make relish and sauce out of them. I have grown them from seeds I saved the prior year.

Phil said:
I have yet to have a Cajun belle plant survive a whole season
What happened to them?  A friend shared the seeds and asked me to start some for him and keep some if i want.  Probably going to grow some for self.

ajdrew said:
A friend of mine gave me some Cajun Belle seeds he saved from last year.  Never heard of them so looked up.  It is a sweet belle with mild heat.  It is listed as a hybrid, but that does not mean they arent stable.  Still, some crosses never become stable.

So question is, does anyone have experience saving the seeds enough to know the answer?

Hybrids are unstable by definition. After enough generations of breeding, all crosses will stabilize.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

Hybrids are unstable by definition. After enough generations of breeding, all crosses will stabilize.
I would like to agree, but we live in a world where flammable and inflammable mean the same damn thing.  Wrote a longer reply but replaced it cause I think that first sentence covers most of it.  The word hybrid is often used to mean any cross, stable or not.  Check out any gmo thread and you will find people arguing that virtually any modern plant is a hybrid.  Open pollination and heirloom are also terms which seem to have different meaning depending on context.  Drives me nuts.

Whether or not the misuse of the word hybrid drives you nuts, what you are doing here is helping to perpetuate the confusion. A hybrid is a plant that is the result of crossing two different parent plants. Once that hybrid self pollenates and produces offspring, further generations cease to be hybrids. (f1 = hybrid, f2 and on = not hybrid)
     Technically a cross and a hybrid are kind of the same - the product of pollenating one plant with a different one. But there are subtle differences. A plant breeder will cross breed different parent plants to end up with stable gene stock plants that will be parents of a desired hybrid seed. In the case of the Cajun Belle, for example, many generations of plant selection resulted in two stable parent plants that show a desired phenotype. When these two parent plants are crossed, the desired hybrid Cajun Belle seed results. Same seed of known qualities every time. This gives us two things - desired qualities like pod flavor/shape, plant habit, disease resistance; and it gives hybrid vigor. Both are selling points for hybrid seed. 
     A cross is just that, two different plants cross breeding. The result is an f1 generation like a hybrid, but a hybrid is a cross of two specific parents who were developed and stabilized with the sole intent of producing that one specific hybrid seed. All hybrids are crosses, but not all crosses should be called hybrids. 
     If you self pollenate a Cajun Belle, it's offspring cannot be considered a hybrid or a cross any longer. Their parents are the same plant. These are called f2 plants. If you keep doing this, generation after generation, you will eventually stabilize it. But if you allow it to open pollenate and it happens to be pollenated by a different plant, then you start over with another f1 cross.
     Also, open pollination does not equal heirloom. You can pollenate an heirloom plant in isolation and still call it an heirloom plant. You could also allow it to pollenate openly and still call it an heirloom, if it maintains genetic purity by self pollenating. Some heirlooms are the product of plant breeding (deliberate cross breeding and selection) to end up with a desired plant. While others may be the product of many generations of cross breeding that resulted from open pollination, where the grower selects for desired traits that are the result of years of natural selection of traits.
     There. Now my brain hurts and it's too early to dull the pain with beer.  ;)

Hybrid, I am not furthering confusion at all.  I am simply informing people of that people use the term hybrid to mean different things.  The same is true of the term Open Pollination.  In different context the term means different things.

Open Pollination - As used on seed packages tends to mean that if they self pollinate or cross with a similiar plant, they will breed true.  No kidding, give it a google.

Open Pollination - As often used here, indicates not grown in isolation.

Open Pollination - In some context, the term is used to contrast closed pollination (cleistogamy).  In that context, it simply means the flowers open.  Could be in isolation, could be grown next to a different variety, could be the offspring of a cross.

The word Hybrid is about the same.  People use it to mean different things.  I really do wish it were as simple as saying a hybrid is always an an F1.  But that simply is not the case.  People use the term hybrid to mean much more than an F1.  As an example, I this is a link to a page by Jim Duffy.  He is a very well respected man in the field. 

The title of the page is Hybrids and Strains.  The context of the page says everything on it is F3 or later. 

http://www.superhotchiles.com/hybrids_strains.html

Thing is, does it really matter?  When seed dealers can not even agree on if a plant is a hybrid or an heirloom / open pollination, the terms do not much matter.  Is the Juliet tomato a hybrid, is it an heirloom, who the heck knows?

Oh look, it is an Open Pollination / Heirloom - http://www.tastefulgarden.com/store/pc/Juliet-Tomato-p78.htm

Oh wait, it is a Hybrid - http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/tomatoes/tomato-juliet-hybrid-prod001180.html

Anyway, I do not dissagree with your opinion.  I am simply pointing out that there are many opinions which indicate something else.  Who is right, who is wrong?  Problem being the English language changes and grows. Aint is in the dictionary now, but my spell checker still doesnt like it.

Sometimes "different" equals "wrong". These are scientifically accepted definitions. How long is a foot in KY? How many acres in a square flavin? 
     Just cuz other people misuse a word doesn't mean it's the correct usage. We are arguing semantics.  :party:  :cool:  :drunk:

Hybrid, I dont think we are even arguing.  I would love it if everyone used words and terms to mean the same thing.  It would make things so much easier. 

Back