• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Need Help with Sour Dough Recipe

YO! 

I have seen some amazing sourdough baked around this place and I am really hoping you guys could share a few recipes with me. I have a starter made I started a week ago and it seems ready to go. Thanks a ton!

Sourdough Recipe

600 grams Bread flour
400 grams water
100 grams fully active sourdough starter
15 grams salt
7 grams instant dry yeast

Combine flour and IDY in a bowl.  In another bowl dissolve starter into the water by gently stirring.  Combine dry and wet ingredients until everything is incorporated (1-2 minutes in a Kitchenaid mixer).  Autolyse for 20 minutes then add salt.  Mix 6 minutes at a medium speed on a Kitchenaid mixer.  Transfer doughty an oiled bowl and let proof until it has doubled in size.  Dived dough into 2 pieces and shape.  One was shaped into a boule, the other into a loaf pan.  Let the dough double in size again and then bake.  For the boule have your oven pre-heated to 500f.  Place the boule on a piece of parchment paper and score the top.  Transfer to a baking stone and cover with a large stainless steel mixing bowl.  Lower to 450f and cook covered for 20 minutes.  Remove bowl and leave in oven until desired color on the crust and the internal temp of the bread is 205f.  Place on a wire rack to cool completely.  The loaf pan then goes into the 450f oven for 25 minutes or until the internal temp of the bread is 205f.  Remove from loaf pan and let cool completely.  

This is a nice one to try.  The dough is not to wet and very workable.

tctenten said:

Sourdough Recipe

600 grams Bread flour
400 grams water
15 grams salt

Combine flour and IDY in a bowl.  In another bowl dissolve starter into the water by gently stirring.  Combine dry and wet ingredients until everything is incorporated (1-2 minutes in a Kitchenaid mixer).  Autolyse for 20 minutes then add salt.  Mix 6 minutes at a medium speed on a Kitchenaid mixer.  Transfer doughty an oiled bowl and let proof until it has doubled in size.  Dived dough into 2 pieces and shape.  One was shaped into a boule, the other into a loaf pan.  Let the dough double in size again and then bake.  For the boule have your oven pre-heated to 500f.  Place the boule on a piece of parchment paper and score the top.  Transfer to a baking stone and cover with a large stainless steel mixing bowl.  Lower to 450f and cook covered for 20 minutes.  Remove bowl and leave in oven until desired color on the crust and the internal temp of the bread is 205f.  Place on a wire rack to cool completely.  The loaf pan then goes into the 450f oven for 25 minutes or until the internal temp of the bread is 205f.  Remove from loaf pan and let cool completely.  

Thanks for this! 

I guess one question I have is, is it really necessary to measure all the ingredients by grams instead of ounces? Excuse my ignorance this is my first go of it. All the recipes I had came across where all in grams as well and since they were all British videos I just assumed it was a metric thing, to which I'm very good with milliliters if that was the case. Is there a mass to volume conversion?

Student of Spice said:
Thanks for this! 

I guess one question I have is, is it really necessary to measure all the ingredients by grams instead of ounces? Excuse my ignorance this is my first go of it. All the recipes I had came across where all in grams as well and since they were all British videos I just assumed it was a metric thing, to which I'm very good with milliliters if that was the case. Is there a mass to volume conversion?
That was how the measurements were given to me. You can covert to ounces if you like. Everything that I have read is to use weight as opposed to volume when baking. I guess there is too much variation in how a "cup" of flour is measured.

tctenten said:

Sourdough Recipe

600 grams Bread flour
400 grams water
15 grams salt

Grams work well for me.  Is it really necessary to convert c to f?   ;)  

Starter is showing signs of activity this morning, so should be able to give this a crack on Friday.  Thanks for the recipe!

Student of Spice said:

Thanks for this! 

I have an app on the phone called UnitConvertLT (apple) this makes conversions a breeze.  

tctenten said:
That was how the measurements were given to me. You can covert to ounces if you like. Everything that I have read is to use weight as opposed to volume when baking. I guess there is too much variation in how a "cup" of flour is measured.

I went ahead and just weighed it all out, not that difficult other than taking a few minutes more. I was just feeling lazy lol. I followed the recipe, the first mix up it went well and wasn't sticky, i was actually afraid it was too dry. After adding the salt and stirring a full 6 minutes then waiting had it much more wet and sticky. I did have some trouble in forming it that sticky so I tried dusting it with flour. I had a hard time doing that whole drag and twist thing to tighten it up. I am only doing one right now, the other half is chillin in the bowl formed sitting in the fridge.....hopefully I can post a picture soon.

Ok the first one looked ok but I am not posting the photo as it did not taste ok. My scale was either wrong, maybe the dough didn't expand enough leaving it to concentrated, or that is just too much salt for me. It tasted like a really super salty sour dough pretzel. 

So the other half, am I able to remix it into another half of a recipe to dilute the salt? Or just start again, i added the extra back into my starter and I see that it is already really really active.

Student of Spice said:
Ok the first one looked ok but I am not posting the photo as it did not taste ok. My scale was either wrong, maybe the dough didn't expand enough leaving it to concentrated, or that is just too much salt for me. It tasted like a really super salty sour dough pretzel. 

So the other half, am I able to remix it into another half of a recipe to dilute the salt? Or just start again, i added the extra back into my starter and I see that it is already really really active.

I have made this numerous times and never had an issue with the salt content. It is right around 2% which is pretty common in sourdough recipes. If you added dough back into your starter after you added salt to the dough, that is generally a no/no.

tctenten said:
I have made this numerous times and never had an issue with the salt content. It is right around 2% which is pretty common in sourdough recipes. If you added dough back into your starter after you added salt to the dough, that is generally a no/no.
no I just added equal parts of flour and water to the starter. I have the second bread still sitting uncooked in the fridge. Was wondering if it can be added to more water and flour?  :think:

Student of Spice said:
no I just added equal parts of flour and water to the starter. I have the second bread still sitting uncooked in the fridge. Was wondering if it can be added to more water and flour?  :think:
That is above my knowledge level.

Back