• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2016 Gochu Glog- Transplanting is Finished

Hi All, I'm back again after quite a while and more than a few changes. Health issues got in the way of being active here after Christmas, but I've resolved those and am ready to plug in here again, albeit with less time than I had before. Anyway... on to the chiles!

My friends with a CISA farm have started 6 MoA Scotch Bonnets, what I hope are 2 King Nagas and a couple of Jalapenos. I have three 1020 trays worth of 3inch pots planted with 4 varieties of Gochu peppers. I sowed them a week ago and they're just now starting to sprout. I also have 12 pots of Texas Wild Pequins and 6 pots of Guwahati Bhuts planted that haven't started to sprout.

In addition to the solar food dryer, I picked up a stainless steel 10-quart pressure cooker at Christmas time, so I'm planning on experimenting with using it to process purees and sauces to hopefully make them more shelf-stable. Any input on that would be gratefully accepted. :)

Gochus starting...
SANY1071_zpsw9uylem5.jpg

Chinense varieties and Jalapenos
SANY1073_zpsupkiifxc.jpg

That's all for now... see ya all later! :party:

Top o' the mornin' to you  & welcome back!

Stay healthy & happy growing this season.

Your (new) next door neighbor........Sandy!

FreeportBum said:
Hi Rick, things are looking great and good to see you back posting my friend. Cheers to a great season and all the best to you and yours. 

:cheers:

Cheers Big D! Hoping for the same for you in 2016! The mini-Rocoto plant of yours I wintered over inside the house is looking great... I'm really looking forward to seeing what kind of pods come from it this season. Did you get any from the parent plant last year? If so, what were they like?
pepperguy1 said:
:woohoo:  :woohoo:  :woohoo: stickman back to the party. :welcome: back. :drunk: Looking forward to your posts, ;)

Cheers Dave!

tctenten said:
Glad to see that you are back and hopefully the health issues are behind you.  Good luck!

Cheers Terry! I ballooned up to 270 pounds after Christmas, and was wheezing and dealing with pitting edema... I've never been that big before and figured I'd better do something about it quick before it became permanent! I got a FitBit, started walking and keeping a food log. I dropped 30 pounds, the wheeze and the edema in a little over a month and will be trying to lose another 30 pounds this spring into summer. My ultimate goal is to get to around 200-210 and maintain it. Something tells me the second 30 will be harder to lose than the first... :rolleyes:

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Welcome back Rick!

Cheers Chris!

wiriwiri said:
Top o' the mornin' to you  & welcome back!

Stay healthy & happy growing this season.

Your (new) next door neighbor........Sandy!

Cheers Sandy, It's nice to hear from another New Englander!  Especially one who loves "Wicked" Chicken Curry... you're speaking my language now! I love the combination of really fiery chicken and rice cooked with coconut milk! Do you grow chiles too?
Trident chilli said:
Welcome back Rick from all in the UK

... And speaking of Scotch Bonnets... Cheers John! How's your patch coming along?
neoguy said:
Glad to see you back and to hear the health  are behind you. Good Luck.

Cheers Dan! Feeling better now for sure. Good luck to you this year as well!

Hi Rick,
I do grow chiles & have always been into spicy food.I do cook with coconut milk, Many of the  Asian/Caribbean  rice dishes have coconut milk,also curry dishes too,it does help thicken it,as you may know.
My mom used it & so I do too.I find more than anything else it prevent the rice from clumping,presumably  d/t  the oil from the coconut.My secret for making rice,is the rice cooker.You can really get a good thing going by dumping all your secret ingredients into it..set it  come back.voila ..all done!

I am very interested in wild varieties,they are a challenge ...but I am up to it...only just begun..
My list is a variety of peppers mostly wilds,but I do touch all bases.There's a pepper in there for every palate,no one is excluded.
Maybe when they get  a subforum  for sharing recipes we can all add our 2 cents...that would be "WICKED AWESOME" :rofl:
Stay well,set  a small goal for each day & you will get there..all of us chiliheads are pulling for you :)
Sandy

Glad to see your doing better Rick. We missed you. Keep doing what your doing and you'll meet your goal. The last 10lbs was the hardest for me. I've put on some pounds this Winter. Back to loosing again. Thank goodness for Spring and gardening.

Jeff H said:
:welcome: back Rick.   :dance: :dance:

Devv said:
There he is! I've been wondering about you. Glad you're feeling better.

Good luck this year!

OCD Chilehead said:
Glad to see your doing better Rick. We missed you. Keep doing what your doing and you'll meet your goal. The last 10lbs was the hardest for me. I've put on some pounds this Winter. Back to loosing again. Thank goodness for Spring and gardening.

Cheers guys! Having gotten halfway to my goal I'm gonna keep plugging until I get there. I seem to have hit a plateau currently... guess I'll have to learn more to find out how to get the ball rolling again.

wiriwiri said:
Hi Rick,
I do grow chiles & have always been into spicy food.I do cook with coconut milk, Many of the  Asian/Caribbean  rice dishes have coconut milk,also curry dishes too,it does help thicken it,as you may know.
My mom used it & so I do too.I find more than anything else it prevent the rice from clumping,presumably  d/t  the oil from the coconut.My secret for making rice,is the rice cooker.You can really get a good thing going by dumping all your secret ingredients into it..set it  come back.voila ..all done!

I am very interested in wild varieties,they are a challenge ...but I am up to it...only just begun..
My list is a variety of peppers mostly wilds,but I do touch all bases.There's a pepper in there for every palate,no one is excluded.
Maybe when they get  a subforum  for sharing recipes we can all add our 2 cents...that would be "WICKED AWESOME" :rofl:
Stay well,set  a small goal for each day & you will get there..all of us chiliheads are pulling for you :)
Sandy

The "fire and forget" convenience of a rice cooker is nice, but our place is too small to have room for every kitchen gadget. I love cooking rice in a pressure cooker though! It makes for perfectly cooked rice in half the time. I made Bibim Bap for supper last night and the pressure cooker only took 8 minutes to cook 4 cups of short grain brown rice. I was charmed!

Pretty cool that you've taken an interest in growing wild chiles... which varieties are you growing? So far I've only grown wild collected Texas Pequins, and passed on some seeds for Wild Brazil chiles to a friend who shared some of his harvest with me. I liked the Pequins the best and try to keep a pint jar of dried pods in the pantry to quickly punch up anything that needs it.

stickman said:
Cheers Big D! Hoping for the same for you in 2016! The mini-Rocoto plant of yours I wintered over inside the house is looking great... I'm really looking forward to seeing what kind of pods come from it this season. Did you get any from the parent plant last year? If so, what were they like?

Cheers Dave!
Hi Rick I couldn't tell any difference between # 1 and # 2. Both have large pods with similar shapes, very juicy and hot.

Hi Rick glad to see your doing a glog this year after all.
I would like to lose about 50 or so an get down to say 170 or 180 around 227 to 230 think my back would thank me.
I've kinda dropped the ball I think with my glogs .
The first around is doing good but behind with the others as I hit germination turbulence but back on track now.
The grow this year is scotch bonnet varieties & baccatum varieties with a few annuums .
The hottest thing is Sawyer Arkansas Peach form 2014 seed stock
I have quite a few tomato varieties & got great germination with those.
Oh & sowed lots of flowers & have some volunteers form last year.
I have missed your glog how did the solar dehydrator go?
Your plants are Looking great & best of luck on your grow this season.

Plantguy76 said:
Hi Rick glad to see your doing a glog this year after all.
I would like to lose about 50 or so an get down to say 170 or 180 around 227 to 230 think my back would thank me.
I've kinda dropped the ball I think with my glogs .
The first around is doing good but behind with the others as I hit germination turbulence but back on track now.
The grow this year is scotch bonnet varieties & baccatum varieties with a few annuums .
The hottest thing is Sawyer Arkansas Peach form 2014 seed stock
I have quite a few tomato varieties & got great germination with those.
Oh & sowed lots of flowers & have some volunteers form last year.
I have missed your glog how did the solar dehydrator go?
Your plants are Looking great & best of luck on your grow this season.

Hi Jason, Most definitely, your back will thank you to say the least. ;) You might find this vid helpful... it was certainly an eye-opener for me. The "Fidget Pants" they mentioned in the vid are almost exactly the same as FitBits.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DSZyDBmeho&nohtml5=False

Most of my Eggplants and Tomatoes are up now, and the chiles I planted are just starting to sprout. In addition to the chiles, I'm also starting more Kurtovska Kapijas and Hungarian Pimientos for my Mom. She can plant them a hundred yards apart, so collecting clean seeds from them presents no problem. For the chiles... I picked up a half dozen organza bags with drawstring tops to sequester blossoms on my Bonnets and supers. I just haven't got the planting space to keep them far enough apart to prevent cross-pollination. I'm thinking I may just ask my Mom to show me how to use her sewing machine so I can make a few dozen more too.
SANY1080_zpszgmyukqb.jpg

The solar dehydrator worked great last year! I finished it too late for most things, but I got great results with drying the herbs and chiles I grew. I could control the temperature inside so well that I got great color, aroma and flavor from them. Once I start harvesting, I'm sure it'll be in almost constant use. :D

Good luck with your grow this year!

Back