• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Finally planted out and done

Finally got everyone out. Took a couple of weeks waiting for the weather to stabilize and I brought them out little by little.
-
All totaled I have around 25 pepper plants going, 6 thai egg plants, 4 old German tomatoes, 3 different Thai basils and a strawberry bush. Some are in self watering buckets, some fabric pots and some plain ol' plastic pots. I figure this would be a good way to compare what does best. My tomatoes had a lot of trouble in fabric pots last year but my egg plant went off in one. So we'll see how the peppers do.
-
Kind of weird observation but the soil isn't "one size fits all"....Some plants are doing WAY better than others. All the Thai's are doing great as are the Shishi*tos. All the habs and pepperoncinis are doing pretty good. The Kaua'i plants are doing so-so, all looking over fertilized. The Criolla Sellas are all flowering like crazy. So there is complete consistency between the breeds...just some doing good and others 'meh'. Didn't think there'd be such observable and reproducible differences.
-
Thrips have already showed up. Azamax has been sprayed every 10 days or so for 3 cycles. Aphids made a very brief appearance and are for the most part gone aside from the occasional fly-in. The thrips are persisting although to a lesser degree on the tomatoes. Think I'll start a Spinosad regiment for the next application. Last year I waited until I had an obvious problem...By then it was too late to really get a good handle on the bugs. This year, I'll be treating on a regular schedule bugs or no bugs. Plants really suffered last year with mites, thrips and other crawlies. Such a p.i.t.a. and waste of time. This year, no mercy!

HI,seems like you already have a good handle on  ridding the bugs along with your preventive maintenance  sched.,
It never ends with the garden bugs they love to make us sweat.
The big plus for you is you have  a better clime to get a head start on potential issues,we are still dealing with snow here in NE..ah, finally the next 7 days appear to be on the up & up...fingers crossed :)
Good luck & may your hard work reward you with  baskets  brimful of produce....Sandy

Awe thanks so much for the kind words...Just got done thrip smashing. So tempting to spray outside of schedule but I'll hold off until next cycle.

Hope you warm up soon and get planted out! Best of luck to you as well =)

Congratulations on the plant out. Mine are in a grow tent waiting for this Michigan weather to stabilize.

Best of luck to you this growing season :)

Michigan here too.. the internet has last frost listed around may 10th, but this week is looking better all the time. I think my area (thumb) has a low of about 40 this week. Could snow next week, it is michigan, but im enjoying this one lol

Back