• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

DC Balcony Glog 2016

It's that time again! Just read through last year's glog and it was so helpful to have that record.

This year I'm changing things up a bit. Cutting way back. I usually put 3 plants in each of my 20 x 20 pots. Some do great, some get crowded out and overshadowed.

I only bought 6 from CCN this year and have 2 I over wintered. Each gets its own pot and extra attention. Hoping for huge plants and excellent output.

Never had luck with jalepenos and hope this will solve. If not, next year I will go crazy again. The problem was deciding. Here's the list:

Yellow Fatali - a must
Chupetinho - grew 2 years ago from CCN, then from those seeds last year but they didn't grow true. Good, but not the jewels they can be.
Ancho Hybrid 211
Cayenne Large Thick - one of my favs from last year
Fish
Jalapeño Gigantia Hybrid

image.jpeg

The two over winters:
Goats Weed

image.jpeg

Trinidad Scorpion or Brain Strain - not sure...

image.jpeg

I'm a little concerned about one little plant in a great big pot at the beginning. Thoughts?

And please...no more winter in DC. Make it stop!!!

FiresOfNil said:
Nice plants, in the last picture looks like you have a nice size balcony! Not jealous or anything...
Thanks! It's the reason I bought. Runs the whole length of the condo, 8 ft deep and faces west. Here's a pic from last year.

image.jpeg

Sorry about sideways, but you get the idea.

Very nice... Perfect spot for a balcony garden, well organized last year too, looks pretty

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Well, the sun has come out for 2 days in a row. Things are starting to dry out and actually watered 2 plants today for the first time in weeks.

Think I have 2 casualties.

image.jpeg

This was my over wintered Trinidad Scorpion grown from seed. It didn't take well to going outside and a few days ago looked like this.

image.jpeg

Today I came home and the sad thing had aphids. No other plants did. I reduced it to a stick.

image.jpeg

It will come back or die. Wish I had left it a bonchi.

This is my chultepeno, bought this year from TCP because the one I grew last year from seeds didn't grow true. I've prayed over it, but think it is a lost cause.

image.jpeg

Last year was so exceptional. I am greatful for that, but this sucks.

Things are looking much better. Replaced two with farmers market finds. Purple cayenne and multicolored "Chinese". Their labels, not mine. The plants look good, we'll see what happens

The Scorpion and Chultepino are gone. Here are the new arrivals.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

My Ancho has survived this spring very well. Twice the size it was a week ago.

image.jpeg

This miserable spring made me ignore the balcony. Too cold. Then it got HOT! Think leaving everything alone may have been a good call. Here is where we are early July.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And close ups

Giant jalapeño. I never get them to do well and this is the sickliest plant that survived. I will get a few.

image.jpeg

Cayenne- my fav from last year

image.jpeg

The Ancho has been the happiest from the get go.

image.jpeg

Over wintered goats weed is also very happy.

image.jpeg

The fish is one of the prettiest plants out there

image.jpeg

And last but not least the two farmers market replacements for the ones that didn't make it. Not sure about what they really are. One was labels purple cayenne and the other multi colored "Chinese"
They look nice. We'll see how they taste

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Alynne said:
This miserable spring made me ignore the balcony. Too cold. Then it got HOT! Think leaving everything alone may have been a good call. Here is where we are early July.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And close ups

Giant jalapeño. I never get them to do well and this is the sickliest plant that survived. I will get a few.

image.jpeg

Cayenne- my fav from last year

image.jpeg

The Ancho has been the happiest from the get go.

image.jpeg

Over wintered goats weed is also very happy.

image.jpeg

The fish is one of the prettiest plants out there

image.jpeg

And last but not least the two farmers market replacements for the ones that didn't make it. Not sure about what they really are. One was labels purple cayenne and the other multi colored "Chinese"
They look nice. We'll see how they taste

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Your plants are looking good there neighbor!

Alynne said:
Thanks! I think leaving them alone may be the best thing to do.
Sometimes, walking away is the best thing to do. I've ruined plants by babying them. I love it when I go away for a couple days and come back. I can see the difference. Day to day, I see nothing.

Plants looking great. Glad things started coming around. I'm going to OW some goats this year. I heard the second year around they get better. Fish is looking good.

Back