Hi from the UK!

Hi everyone,

I'm going to make a post asking for some advice about my current chilli plants but thought I better introduce myself here first!

So! I'm 23 and currently trying my hand at growing some Carolina Reapers, my previous experience with chillis was the red savina back when it was the hottest and then the bhut jolokia, following the trend of always wanting the hottest! (Even though usually by the time I'm finished another has taken its place!) I also grow various cacti, but that's about as far as my green fingers will stretch.

I hope to stick around here and learn more about the whole process and have fun!

Greetings from South Carolina! Where in SW England are you? My brother lives in Tetbury and my nephew lives in Swindon.

Welcome.  Hope you enjoy your stay.  

I know you are in search of the "hottest" pepper but have you considered trying to grow other less-hot peppers with better flavor? 

kentishman said:
Greetings from South Carolina! Where in SW England are you? My brother lives in Tetbury and my nephew lives in Swindon.

Hi! I'm right down near the bottom in Cornwall, near to Penzance! Cool that you have relatives over here!

Vicious Vex said:
Welcome.  Hope you enjoy your stay.  

I know you are in search of the "hottest" pepper but have you considered trying to grow other less-hot peppers with better flavor? 

Hi Vicious, I haven't actually grown any others yet no, but I'd like to vary my crops in future. Would you recommended any varieties in particular?

arghmychillis said:

Hi Vicious, I haven't actually grown any others yet no, but I'd like to vary my crops in future. Would you recommended any varieties in particular?

That is a dangerous question. Get ready to go down the rabbit hole!

It all depends on what you want.  Flavor, Heat, Type of Burn, and what you plan on doing with them.   Some peppers make great powders and poor sauces.   

Are you mainly focused on Super-hot Peppers? 

My personal favorites:
Jamacain Hot Chocolate
Lemon drop
Brazilian Starfish
Red Caribbean Habanero

and the staple: Biker Billy Jalapeno 

Welcome to our community. Lots of very knowledgeable people here with tons of information. Best of luck to you this growing season.

Vicious Vex said:

That is a dangerous question. Get ready to go down the rabbit hole!

It all depends on what you want.  Flavor, Heat, Type of Burn, and what you plan on doing with them.   Some peppers make great powders and poor sauces.   

Are you mainly focused on Super-hot Peppers? 

My personal favorites:
Jamacain Hot Chocolate
Lemon drop
Brazilian Starfish
Red Caribbean Habanero

and the staple: Biker Billy Jalapeno 

Ooh, so much choice! I have to admit, even though I've grown some hot peppers I'm not actually incredibly fond of the very hot ones myself. I mostly grow them for members of my family who seem to not be able to get enough heat! (And of course to sound silly being like "Beholddd the hottest pepper")

I think I'd prefer some that could make a good, relatively hot, all round sauce to add to lots of dishes, if there's something fitting to that at least.

I'd also like to thank everyone in the thread for welcoming me! I feel very extra welcomed!

Here are some peppers I've grown and like that are not superhots, but have heat and flavor: Congo Trinidad, Datil, Kung Pao, Bonda ma Jacques, Sinahuisa, Piment d'Espelette, Aleppo.

Back