• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Cacti Thread

Was out this Sunday to a couple Green houses and got some stuff, was hard not to lol

New Cacti, their was a bunch but had to control myself.

Bristle Brush Cacti
_4175488_BristleBrushCacti-1000_zpsjypypbio.jpg

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

Neat plant. What is it? The leaves look like a Christmas cactus, but the flowers don't look like mine.
My neighbor gave it to us this winter and she moved so I don't know what it is . I'll try and find out. 

Here's a group shot of my Trichocereus collection. I pulled them outside into the shade a few weeks ago. The other day, I scooted them further out on the porch so get them some more direct sun.
     I need to do some more pruning on them to get them into shape for summer. I cut some of them back about a year and a half ago to keep them from getting too top heavy, but a lot of the rebound growth has been up top. 

From left to right - Trichocereus bridgesii (E. lageniformis), then T. pachanoi, (2)T. macrogonus, and another pachanoi.
IMG_1701_zpsxrudsxnz.jpg

After I cut the taller ones back, I'll let the wounds callus for a few weeks and then get them out into the sun and rain. And hopefully they'll be done tipping over during thunderstorms!

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

Cool. I didn't know the scientific name of them until now. This is the kind I'm used to seeing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlumbergera Mine had bright crimson flowers. I had no idea they were epiphytes. I've got some reading to do before I transplant mine now.  :think:
I found out we also have a Christmas one as well that is not in bloom like the Easter. I'm propagating a few more of the Easters right now. 

Do epiphyllum count? I impulsively ordered a couple rooted cuttings (epiphyllum anguliger and epiphyllum pumilum) as an experiment.

I did have some very healthy dragon fruit plants a few years ago that got to be about nine or ten feet in a pot, but sadly they were killed off by an early frost while I was out of town. In retrospect, dragon fruit may have been a little overly ambitious with my previous setup... I at least have a south facing window now.

synclinorium said:
Do epiphyllum count? I impulsively ordered a couple rooted cuttings (epiphyllum anguliger and epiphyllum pumilum) as an experiment.

I did have some very healthy dragon fruit plants a few years ago that got to be about nine or ten feet in a pot, but sadly they were killed off by an early frost while I was out of town. In retrospect, dragon fruit may have been a little overly ambitious with my previous setup... I at least have a south facing window now.

Yup, epiphyllum count. They are technically cacti, after all. ( I had to do some reading on that one... ;) ) Sorry to hear about your pitaya. I've thought about growing one of those. Do they do well if you grow them outside during summer and then bring them inside and induce dormancy when it gets cold?

On my way to work each day I drive past a cactus that is huge, probably something like 5-6 meters (15-18 feet) tall. It's in the front yard of a two story house and it has grown past the gutter on the second story. It looks like a similar species to yours HM01. 

I can take a pic if any of you are interested in seeing it?

SR. 

Shorerider said:
On my way to work each day I drive past a cactus that is huge, probably something like 5-6 meters (15-18 feet) tall. It's in the front yard of a two story house and it has grown past the gutter on the second story. It looks like a similar species to yours HM01. 

I can take a pic if any of you are interested in seeing it?

SR. 

That would be great! Maybe ask the homeowner if you can take some closeups so we have a better chance to ID it. Have you ever noticed flowers on it? It would be interesting if it was a Trichocereus - I thought those were illegal to grow in your country. 

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

That would be great! Maybe ask the homeowner if you can take some closeups so we have a better chance to ID it. Have you ever noticed flowers on it? It would be interesting if it was a Trichocereus - I thought those were illegal to grow in your country. 
I can't say I've ever noticed flowers on it, but I haven't really ever looked for them either. The shape of it just looks like yours, I have no idea when it comes to a positive ID. It is actually growing like a tree, with a main trunk and branches, very cool.

I'll do my best.

SR. 

Shorerider said:
 It is actually growing like a tree, with a main trunk and branches, very cool.

That's actually their mature form where they grow naturally in South America. They start out as a single columnar shoot. After a few years, they start to branch out at the base. As the main stem gets older, it grows in diameter and develops a really tough bark. Eventually, they look like a giant candelabra.

https://ixquick-proxy.com/do/show_picture.pl?l=english&rais=1&oiu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.trichocereus.com%2Famazon%2Famazon_outdoor_plant.jpg&sp=c579ae2cbafc532ac0e0718e4bff1ed8

Back