Hoppin' it up!

I decided I'm just going to grow these in 5 gallon buckets this year and see how it goes. I think I'll like it, but I don't want to know for sure. I have enough to worry about this growing season since I'm behind on everything else.

Columbus and Cascade

only problem with columbus is that it is very region specific

very very slight alterations in soil profile can cause significant off flavors, like garlic and raw onion

i actually had to send back 440 pounds of it because of this fact, and trade it out with a different lot number

and I LOVE columbus, but its sketchy

i've noted when you've mentioned that a few times ...

i used it in Red-Eye with good luck, and I feel like I'm in pretty good shape in a general sense with the hops from https://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/ - those folks do basically everything right in terms of packaging etc ...

i'll def keep smelling them, though, before i toss 'em in ...

Here's what I do, I put in screw hooks up on my fascia about 2-3 feet apart and drop Sisal string down to and anchor (in my case a piece of re-bar). Then they grow up the string. In the fall, I just slide the sisal off the screw hooks, cut the hops at the ground and burn the whole lot. I've tried growing them up rope, poles, re-bar etc and trying to get the hops off of that shit to use next year is futile. I guess all I'm trying to say is whatever you give them for climbing, make it "disposable". Hops are assholes. LOL

One thing I know for sure is that I'm not putting them anywhere near my house lol.  I have a small clearing before the woods that I think I'm going to put a pole up with a pulley hooked onto a trellis of some kind, ran to a pin in the ground.  

grantmichaels said:
I thought Citra was my favorite hop, but after having a bunch of Citra-only beers, I realize it's Columbus that's my favorite hop ...

I love that shit.

I definitely like Columbus, but as of now I think Simcoe is my favorite.  I think I may have to make an IPA this summer with those 2.

wheebz said:
Did you even do a BD beer grant?

Next one ... I'm just getting ready to go deep on brewing again, now ...

I've completely given up on local beer.

I ordered some OB from my sister -> http://thehotpepper.com/topic/51319-vagabond-flog-gm/?p=1302138

And the rest is up to me ...

Homebrew + OB/Avery from her for the time being ... my next round from her will be stuff from Avery's barrel-program ...

I swear, I think I might brew under the constraints of the Provisional Beer Law of 1993 ...

I'm already so over the kind of flavoring I'm finding in a lot of the "popular" beers ...

It's just like coffee/tea ...

I have been growing hops for 5 years but in brewing hops this will be year 3. I say this because the first hop that I grew 5 years ago is not a very usable brewing hop.  My place is a little over 3/4 of an acre.  I had to be creative in where I could put my hop plants.  As much of a pain in the ass it is, all are growing up a fence of some sort.  That is the best I could do with the space I have.  Here are my babies:

Sunbeam

This is my 5 year guy.  When I got it, it was labeled 'golden hop' at a plant sale.  It turns out to be a variety called Sunbeam with Alpha acid levels resembling Hallertau or Saaz

Cascade, year 2

Chinook, year 2

Willamette, year 2

Brewers Gold, year 2

Cluster, year 2

Magnum, year 3

Columbus, year 3

Columbus, year 3

Centennial, year 3

This is one of the better trellises I have.  The top extension comes off and that is where most of the hops are and I can pick them off sitting down

My Columbus hops are great bittering hops and have absolutely no off flavors at all.  Guess I got lucky with my soil.  So far, my Columbus and Centennial are by far the most productive plants and they produce a lot.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Where is your sister with all that access to OB?

Right there in Longmont, CO ... it took her minutes to pop over there last night ... like, less than five minutes ...
jbeer32 said:
I have been growing hops for 5 years but in brewing hops this will be year 3. I say this because the first hop that I grew 5 years ago is not a very usable brewing hop.  My place is a little over 3/4 of an acre.  I had to be creative in where I could put my hop plants.  As much of a pain in the ass it is, all are growing up a fence of some sort.  That is the best I could do with the space I have.  Here are my babies:

Sunbeam

This is my 5 year guy.  When I got it, it was labeled 'golden hop' at a plant sale.  It turns out to be a variety called Sunbeam with Alpha acid levels resembling Hallertau or Saaz

Cascade, year 2

Chinook, year 2

Willamette, year 2

Brewers Gold, year 2

Cluster, year 2

Magnum, year 3

Columbus, year 3

Columbus, year 3

Centennial, year 3

This is one of the better trellises I have.  The top extension comes off and that is where most of the hops are and I can pick them off sitting down

My Columbus hops are great bittering hops and have absolutely no off flavors at all.  Guess I got lucky with my soil.  So far, my Columbus and Centennial are by far the most productive plants and they produce a lot.

Neat!

Univ. of Fla. has taken on adapting hops to the climate here in Florida, and hopefully after a few years, they'll have solid rec's and I'll be able to pull it off ...

grantmichaels said:

Right there in Longmont, CO ... it took her minutes to pop over there last night ... like, less than five minutes ...

Neat!

Univ. of Fla. has taken on adapting hops to the climate here in Florida, and hopefully after a few years, they'll have solid rec's and I'll be able to pull it off ...
Cool, I need to visit them in NC ;) 

Back