misc To use or not to use woozy dripper inserts

Need some feedback about woozy dripper inserts. Do you use them or not? We've always use them but my son and I had a big discussion while making sauce about should we quit using them. I like them because I've had bottles without and forgot there was no insert and had sauce everywhere. He on the other hand says no one uses them and it not an issue. Would love to hear what you folks think. 

Ditto what those dudes say ^^^.

The only sauce I make that I use an orofice reducer on is Worcestershire, which has the consistency of water.  No viscosity at all.  I just got a bottle of Hella Hot with small bits of pulp that wouldn't go through the reducer.  Ripped that thing off and threw it on the floor!  (not literally~  ;)  )  :lol:

grantmichaels said:
but at least then I remember doing it ...

I don't remember, I always pop them off and then dump sauce all over my food. I've even opened the "spoon out" side of spices and dumped it lol.

SL, I took it off the Hellfire Bay and forgot, luckily it's not too hot and good so I went with it lol.

There are different sizes anyway. Even for thin sauces I don't like the "one drop at a time" ones, there are larger holes that give more of douse.

The Hot Pepper said:

I don't remember, I always pop them off and then dump sauce all over my food. I've even opened the "spoon out" side of spices and dumped it lol.

SL, I took it off the Hellfire Bay and forgot, luckily it's not too hot and good so I went with it lol.

There are different sizes anyway. Even for thin sauces I don't like the "one drop at a time" ones, there are larger holes that give more of douse.

The Hellfire Bay sauce is a bit thinner and doesn't have large chunks in it, and the opening is larger than the typical reducer.  We left the dropper on that one and it works just fine.  John just told me to order some more of that sauce, it's a hit.

Gringa, as a processor, you may need to look at a few different sources to find a reducer with a larger orofice.  It may be a different source than your bottles, but they should cross-fit.  Maybe order a couple dozen to make sure before popping for 10K.  :lol:

Good Luck and let us know what you decide to do.

SL I knew you would like that sauce. Try it on pizza.

He has a whole lineup as well, get the hab too. Great no-frills red hab sauce.

About 25% of my sauces have orifice reducers because they are thinner sauces and meant to be that way.  I figure anyone who likes can remove the reducer, plus it saves someone's plate of food from getting drenched once in a while.  :)

The rest of my sauce line is thick enough that it doesn't need the reducer.  Viscosity is key.  

ajdrew said:
I think heat is another determining factor.  I used some of Pex's To the Moon in mayo for fries this afternoon.  Ye, I want something to restrict the flow.  Oh damn.
I had the same thought with his Supernova when trying to spread it out over nachos. 

Yeah - I would definitely consider heat.  Once you get to that upper echelon of heat you want more control.   

An extra drop of Tabasco isn't a big deal, an extra drop of painapple?  No bueno. 

When I buy a hot sauce that has a plastic device to slow down pouring, the first thing I do is to try to remove it. They are purely annoying. I have yet to taste a sauce that is so strong that I need to spread out individual droplets to avoid having too much heat. Not being able to get the sauce out of the bottle fast enough is a much bigger problem. My current favorite is Tropical Pepper Co.'s ghost pepper sauce, which the bottle says is 500,000 scoville units. Unfortunately, the grocery store where I buy it is almost out and they say they can't order it for the shelves again. The web site says it has scorpion pepper sauce, which I can order from home, but the apartment complex where I live stopped accepting packages for residents.

Side Note-
I have always suggested to use unlined caps when using dropper inserts.  I just ordered some reducers through Specialty Bottle and they no longer carry unlined caps.  Lined caps work fine, you just have to be concientious to snug the cap down tightly. 

Back