• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

travel Travel suggestions (US)?

I hadn't really planned to, but I'll most likely end up doing two trips to the US this year and I could really use some suggestions/tips about where to go, what to do and so on.

Some past experience, what I like to do, etc:
I've been to the US before and have visited Minneapolis, Chicago, New York, Las Vegas and Nashville.

I'm not a a big fan of museums or tourist attractions. I prefer getting to know a city, feel it's pulse, observe everyday life and just get to know it and it's culture(which can vary a lot in the US).
Walking around(which has been a stupid idea in almost every US city so far(sorry but they are so car-centric)) and looking at mundane things, stopping for a coffee or beer when I feel like it. That's what I enjoy(New York was great for this).
Photography, music(known and unknown) and sometimes nature are good pastimes.
One thing that is on my bucket list is to drive around in the US and experience more of the rural life, the smaller towns.
Something to keep in mind is that I'm studying for a degree in Computer Science(while working) and it could be an opportune moment to get some networking contacts to use post graduation(2 years off though).

About the trips then. The first one will be in early september.
5 days - ?
Thinking Florida for the good weather and perhaps experience some Datils in their appropriate environment ;)
This is up in the air though and suggestions are welcome.

3 days - Nashville
Last time I only experienced Broadway in terms of music and would love to find some bars / music venues where you can hear potential up and coming musicians with original music and not the countless covers that are played on Broadway.
Any good restaurants to recommend?

5-6 days - ?
My first idea was to rent a car and drive from Nashville to my next destination(Minneapolis) via Memphis. But it's a long drive and I will be driving alone and it won't leave much time for exploring and just experience things.
Maybe combine a shorter drive and then a flight(Nashville - Memphis - Austin?).
Any and all suggestions welcome.

3-4 days - Minneapolis
I've been there twice and I've never really had a great time. Mostly because I don't know where the good stuff is.
I should probably bribe a local to take me under his/her wing...
Where to eat, good bars, nice entertainment, you name it, tell me what you like to do in this city.

Second trip, early october.
2 days - Minneapolis
Same as what I wrote earlier about Minneapolis.

5-6 days - ?
Also a potential "let's drive somewhere". Maybe somewhere in South Dakota and back to Minneapolis?
Or a flight somewhere else, San Francisco, Texas somewhere?
Once again, any and all suggestions welcome.

3-4 days - Minneapolis.
When are you going to ask why I keep going to a city I'm not very fond of?  :shh:  :shh:  :shh:

Please excuse for the wall of text and thank you for any tips/suggestions fellas. :D

I have always wanted to check San Francisco out. Diverse cultures. Lots of entertainment and I believe it has a good public transportation system. I also want to visit Austin and Memphis. A drive down south has a lot of opportunities to find small town life. Just check the weather in the different areas. October can get cold I some areas of the US. First part you should be safe. The Dakotas can get crazy weather in October. With your time restraint, you could catch a flight to a city and drive back to Minneapolis. I think you can't go wrong with Frisco. The Bay Area is huge.

The good thing is you have plenty of time to plan.

Good luck. I hope you have a great trip.

I know people may laugh but I suggest Cleveland, OH. Lots of stuff going on here that people don't know about. Just don't come during the Republican Convention, actually since the GOP is coming here that is another reason to consider it a destination.

Lots of great acts broke out here, David Bowie and Bruce Springstien(sp) to name a couple. Downtown is walk able but to get to some of the other up an coming acts and venues you'll need a taxi or drive. Unless, of course you come late summer, there are a lot of concerts down on the river. 

And, don't forget the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is located right here.

Lastly, I can't tell you how good the food scene is here. We have an Iron Chef and a James Beard winner and many others that have national recognition. 

If you decide to come, let me know, I'd be pleased to meet you.

I forgot to mention that the cost of visiting here will probably be considerably  less expensive than other major destinations. 

I am on the Left Coast so that's what I know. San Francisco, Portland Oregon and Seattle WA. Those are my recommendations, in that order.

Seattle is about 45 minutes from the airport so that's inconvenient.

San Fransisco is old school, good music, and FOOOD! We are going there for our 25th anniversary in June.

Portland is great for Music and food and ART. Good for people watching and an urban "off the beaten trail" feel. Some say Potlandians are weird but the city is immaculate and the people are friendly as hell.

You could easily drive from San Fransico to Portland for a couple days and enjoy both. San Fransico to Seattle would be a LOOONG day drive but can be done.

San Fransisco to Portland is about a 6-7 hour drive. Portland to Seattle is about a 5 hour drive FYI.

Thanks guys!

What's up with the weather in Dakota in october OCD Chilihead?
Must be too early for snow, but is it tornado(are they even a thing there?) season or just generally bad weather?

Cleveland was an unusual suggestion but I kind of like it. It's not like I know a lot of people who has been there and "oddball" destinations is right up my alley.
I'll definitely keep it in mind and if I decide on Cleveland I might ask for some more detailed tips neoguy. :)

I faintly remember a conversation I had in Vegas with a couple from the Midwest who said that I would probably like Portland but that, as you said, the people are really weird. I'm a bit curious as to why though :)
The west coast and a drive along Pacific Coast Highway is on my to-do list as well, but doing parts of it is a good suggestion Scoville. I'll definitely keep that in mind as well.
How is Portland in terms of cost? I know San Francisco is extremely expensive due to the tech industry there and the influences from Silicon Valley.

I depends on if it's North or South Dakota. Day time temps are in the 50's and nights can get down in the 30's, unless a cold front comes through. Then it can drop drastically. I've never lived there, but have a friend that lives there. Here in Colorado, we can expect snow around mid October on. I think the first part of October you should be fine.

I would like to visit Seatlle as well. I think it would be cool to fly out there for the weekend.

If you want to go somewhere that has deep cultural history, and a place that feels alive.  

Check out New Orleans, Louisiana.   They have rebuilt a majority of the place since hurricane Katrina.   Also, you can still observe the damage left behind in some areas, and seeing that type of destruction first hand gives you an appreciation for the speed at which humans recover society.  
Not to mention some good old fashioned creole cooking with some heat!  

I have been to LA several times, and feeling the swamp air while on a air-boat, or eating on a sidewalk at a food cart, or catching a impromptu blues band breaking out into song on the street.   You can feel the french heritage, the diverse population. It is always a good time.    

I live in the Deep South, and although I love what the area has to offer, I'm not sure if I'd put it at the top of the list. I'd definitely endorse Oregon. I love the scenery and the great local beer (McMenamin brewpubs come to mind). An area that hasn't been suggested is New Mexico. The land and scenery would be such a contrast to Sweden. And in the autumn the New Mexico "Hatch" chiles would be available. A visit to New Mexico State University Chile Pepper Institute would be in order for a chilehead.

Scoville DeVille said:
I am on the Left Coast so that's what I know. San Francisco, Portland Oregon and Seattle WA. Those are my recommendations, in that order.

Seattle is about 45 minutes from the airport so that's inconvenient.

San Fransisco is old school, good music, and FOOOD! We are going there for our 25th anniversary in June.

Portland is great for Music and food and ART. Good for people watching and an urban "off the beaten trail" feel. Some say Potlandians are weird but the city is immaculate and the people are friendly as hell.

You could easily drive from San Fransico to Portland for a couple days and enjoy both. San Fransico to Seattle would be a LOOONG day drive but can be done.

San Fransisco to Portland is about a 6-7 hour drive. Portland to Seattle is about a 5 hour drive FYI.
second the pacific northwest. Portland,Seattle are cool places to visit

Thanks all!

Feels like I say this a lot but New Orleans is also on my bucket list, preferrably during Mardi Gras.
Vicious Vex, hows the south in mid September / early october? Still a risk of hurricanes?

Any particular part of Oregon you'd recommend kentishman?
New Mexico is an interesting suggestion as well, did you have any specific city or part of the state in mind?

Any one city you'd recommend over all the others in the pacific NW rickster?

Ohjay said:
I faintly remember a conversation I had in Vegas with a couple from the Midwest who said that I would probably like Portland but that, as you said, the people are really weird. I'm a bit curious as to why though

Portland is a fun town. It is a very artsy culture and they are proud of their weirdness. The cost is not horrible at all, MUCH cheaper that San Fransisco, plus, there's no sales tax. I highly recommend Portland for music food and weirdness. lol

ccedb82f0befd7ed9d4f9425ba1790a4.jpg

Here's a little slide show. LOL

Weird-Slide_Anni.gif

maxresdefault.jpg

bikes.jpg

Scoville DeVille said:

Portland is a fun town. It is a very artsy culture and they are proud of their weirdness. The cost is not horrible at all, MUCH cheaper that San Fransisco, plus, there's no sales tax. I highly recommend Portland for music food and weirdness. lol

attachicon.gif

attachicon.gif
Weird-Slide_Anni.gif

attachicon.gif
maxresdefault.jpg

attachicon.gif
bikes.jpg

Yeah I guess I'm not into "weird".  So I wouldn't enjoy a place like that.   Different strokes. 

I love San Francisco!  That is a great place to visit and walk all over and experience the people and culture.  Also, Philadelphia is great fun and plenty to do.

If you do come through New Mexico, stop in Las Cruces and I can give you the chile pepper tour with the Chile Pepper Institute, many fields of peppers, fermentation tank farms, my work (where we test peppers for heat), etc.  There is not a great central area here to hand and and get drinks, so it's a 2 day kinda thing.

good luck!

-Tom

Thank you for the slideshow Scoville. Portland seems like my kind of place to visit. I'll see how to work it into my schedule but I think it's a must now. :D

Thanks for the offer 1tom2go. I might take you up on that. :)
What's the weather like in mid september / early october?
Since you live in the state, any particular city/town you'd recommend(size doesn't really matter to me)?

Ohjay said:

Thanks all!

Feels like I say this a lot but New Orleans is also on my bucket list, preferrably during Mardi Gras.
Vicious Vex, hows the south in mid September / early october? Still a risk of hurricanes?

Any particular part of Oregon you'd recommend kentishman?
New Mexico is an interesting suggestion as well, did you have any specific city or part of the state in mind?

Any one city you'd recommend over all the others in the pacific NW rickster?

The worst storm in the history of the east cost as far as documentation was in October. That said, it is very rare. The movie The Perfect Storm was based off a real storm that caused massive damage in the very early 90's. I refer to it as the Halloween storm since that is when is tackled the Outer Banks of NC and separated us from the real world from a long period of time. 

Scoville DeVille said:

Weird-Slide_Anni.gif

maxresdefault.jpg

bikes.jpg
Vader in a skirt,riding a unicycle while playing flaming bagpipes?

I'm sold on Oregon lol.

Wifey wants to live in oregon/WA area. I'm more fond of CO. I work outdoors and don't like getting wet. It rains a lot up that way in the winter. That said either location is a step up from IL.. oh and boobies!

Ohjay said:
I hadn't really planned to, but I'll most likely end up doing two trips to the US this year and I could really use some suggestions/tips about where to go, what to do and so on.

Some past experience, what I like to do, etc:
I've been to the US before and have visited Minneapolis, Chicago, New York, Las Vegas and Nashville.

I'm not a a big fan of museums or tourist attractions. I prefer getting to know a city, feel it's pulse, observe everyday life and just get to know it and it's culture(which can vary a lot in the US).
Walking around(which has been a stupid idea in almost every US city so far(sorry but they are so car-centric)) and looking at mundane things, stopping for a coffee or beer when I feel like it. That's what I enjoy(New York was great for this).
Photography, music(known and unknown) and sometimes nature are good pastimes.
One thing that is on my bucket list is to drive around in the US and experience more of the rural life, the smaller towns.
Something to keep in mind is that I'm studying for a degree in Computer Science(while working) and it could be an opportune moment to get some networking contacts to use post graduation(2 years off though).

About the trips then. The first one will be in early september.
5 days - ?
Thinking Florida for the good weather and perhaps experience some Datils in their appropriate environment ;)
This is up in the air though and suggestions are welcome.

3 days - Nashville
Last time I only experienced Broadway in terms of music and would love to find some bars / music venues where you can hear potential up and coming musicians with original music and not the countless covers that are played on Broadway.
Any good restaurants to recommend?

5-6 days - ?
My first idea was to rent a car and drive from Nashville to my next destination(Minneapolis) via Memphis. But it's a long drive and I will be driving alone and it won't leave much time for exploring and just experience things.
Maybe combine a shorter drive and then a flight(Nashville - Memphis - Austin?).
Any and all suggestions welcome.

3-4 days - Minneapolis
I've been there twice and I've never really had a great time. Mostly because I don't know where the good stuff is.
I should probably bribe a local to take me under his/her wing...
Where to eat, good bars, nice entertainment, you name it, tell me what you like to do in this city.

Second trip, early october.
2 days - Minneapolis
Same as what I wrote earlier about Minneapolis.

5-6 days - ?
Also a potential "let's drive somewhere". Maybe somewhere in South Dakota and back to Minneapolis?
Or a flight somewhere else, San Francisco, Texas somewhere?
Once again, any and all suggestions welcome.

3-4 days - Minneapolis.
When are you going to ask why I keep going to a city I'm not very fond of?  :shh:  :shh:  :shh:

Please excuse for the wall of text and thank you for any tips/suggestions fellas. :D

Beauty wise I recommend AZ, be it grand canyon or any of native cliff dwellings like at mesa verde. Beautiful area. http://www.livescience.com/27360-mesa-verde.html
Can't remember the name of the cliff village I visited in AZ. Mesa verde in CO I believe. 

South Dakota again has some beautiful sites to see. 

Colorado is beautiful, maybe catch a concert at redrock amphitheater. 

stay away from IL it's a crap hole. 

Now mind you, if its drinking establishments you are looking for, I may not be able to help you much since I don't drink. And I don't think any of the restaurants I listed below have live music, with the exception of some of the coffee shops and the Curb Cafe. For that, you might want to try The High Watt, The Curb Café, The Basement, Rocketown, Exit/In, The Rutledge, The W, ect. And there are lots of bars and stuff downtown that I didn't explore much. And a number of the previously listed I've never been to myself.

However, I lived in Nashville for three years in college.

Most of the restaurants I frequented on occasion were in the West End area (by Vanderbilt U), in Green Hills (south of Belmont U/Lipscomb U), by Belmont U, and in the Opry Mills Mall. There are probably plenty of others in other various locations. Nashville seems to have great food. East Nashville might hold a number of options I didn't explore much while I was there. That seems to be an interesting area I missed.

I don't know what exists now, since I haven't been back in almost seven years now, but...

on West End try:

Brick Tops. The fish was really good when I was there.
Davinci's Pizza.
Stoney River Steakhouse.

in Green Hills try:

The Cheescake Factory (a standard, but they made a good Cuban sandwich and Shrimp BLT). 
The Firefly Grill. A small quirky restaurant, but they have good coconut cake. And it feels local.

In Opry Mills try:

The Aquarium Restaurant. A Landry's Subsidiary (as I found out later), there is a large aquarium in the middle of the restaurant you can observe whilst eating. The mall is quite large also-with an IMAX theater and Bass Pro Shop attached (at least they had them while I was there.)

Near Belmont and surrounding area (Nashville does coffee like no other place in my opinion. It basically runs on it):

Fido Coffee Shop
Bongo Java Coffee Shop
**The Frothy Monkey Coffee Shop(A Nashville MUST go)
The Curb Café - Mostly for Belmont students, but it attracts a lot of high level talent from the school and elsewhere. It its worth seeing if open to the public.
Otter's Chicken Tenders. Trust me, they are worth it.

--

Three hours east or so of Nashville there is a water fall called Fall Creek Falls. Worth the hike if you like that sort of thing. Camping on site. 

Back