Growing Peppers in N. California Sonoma and Mendocino County

Hello pepper heads, wanted to know about growing peppers in Northern California, last season I did over 70 different varieties; including:
  • Capsicum annnum: Space pepper 6 diferent varieties, chihuacle, poblano mulato, de arbol, piquin X 4 diferent varieties.
  • Capsicum annuum var. glabriusculum, chiltepin rojo, amarillo and cappuccino( wild from Sonora Mexico)
  • Capsicum baccatum, aji colorado, aji amarillo, aji pineapple, aji mango, aji melocoton, aji penek
  • Capsicum chinense: aji panca, devil hearts, purple ghost, Brazilian ghost, haba orange, carbonero,
  • capsicum pubescens: Inca rojo, manzano amarillo, manzano rojo, turbo pube, mosio, rocoto brown, mini amarillo and rojo but also Ulupica XL
  • Capsicum Frutescens : aji blanco, labuyo white, siling labuyo
I want to learn from others about different ways to grow pepper plants to maximize production, to accelerate growth to avoid plagues.
I will be interesting  to learn what kind of soil, pots and nutes you are using,
I try to stay organic

Happy Peppering
Xilorio

:welcome:  to the THP forums! Nice to have you aboard! You certainly have some nice sounding grows and peppers 'under your belt'. I've really wanted to try the amarillo and cappuccino tepins myself! (the traditional rojo are one of my favorite peppers) I was thinking of growing some of the labuyo whites that I got last year, the labuyo's seem to be appearing more and more on people grow lists - they look like a great little pepper! Do you have any experience with the 'Rice Grain' version? I've never heard about their taste or heat, but they sure are an interesting variety... even if a bit of a 'novelty' pepper.

Definitively check out the growing section of the forums! Cheers!

Hi Alchymystic the "Rice grain Labuyo" is a nice plant to grow, their tiny greenish flowers are amazing, the plant produces well, I like it a lot, every morning while watering plants got a couple pods with my coffee, I know sounds weird but I like it. the flavor of the labuyo is a bit of cinnamon like (when the pods where red ripe), the heat hits you very quickly but it only last a few seconds maybe 20 to 30 at least for me.
The Chiltepin capuchino has a very nice flavor form the trio of chiltepines this is the one that I like the most, when I toasted the pods on a griddle the flavor intensifies and is almost coffee like, but the amarillo is the hotest fo the chiltepines. 

did you get the chiltepin capucinno directly from chiltepines de la sierra?

i conversed with him on facebook in december to get the $20 trio pack seeds and he said he takes paypal but never gave me any instructions on how to perform the transaction.

Back