• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

new m&m's

My fiance who doesn't like the higher end of the scoville scale enjoyed them.   She compared them to eating a salsa I make that has 2 jalapenos per quart.   

She said that the heat definitely builds as you eat them. 

These M&Ms did give me an idea of a recipe though.  

Why do chiliheads always preach flavor is king but all you do is evaluate the heat? So how was the chili flavor? Does it add anything? What type of pepper flavor do you detect? I like chili chocolate. Don't need it too hot I like the flavor it adds, a little tingle is fine for such a product.

The Hot Pepper said:
Why do chiliheads always preach flavor is king but all you do is evaluate the heat? So how was the chili flavor? Does it add anything? What type of pepper flavor do you detect? I like chili chocolate. Don't need it too hot I like the flavor it adds, a little tingle is fine for such a product.

I too am curious if there is actually chili flavor or is it just extract for heat with no actual chili flavor?

I looked at the image. hog, it says extract on the front. Also I'm not sure why anyone would expect heat. They are called Chili Nut and there are no flames, and not even a pepper on the label. The idea is a little tingle, which is what you will get.

I thought they were pretty good... basically peanut m&ms with a bit of a tingle. As far as flavor, I could not detect any chili flavor. I do enjoy chili flavored chocolate when the flavor of the chili comes through... these m&ms are not that.

The Hot Pepper said:
Why do chiliheads always preach flavor is king but all you do is evaluate the heat? So how was the chili flavor? Does it add anything? What type of pepper flavor do you detect?

I think it's because mainstream consumer products like this (think Doritos, et cetera) never has the pepper flavor come through. Heat level is all we can typically evaluate. On higher quality chili flavored products the discussion should be expanded to include all the nuances of their flavor. That's my take from it anyways.

Spicy Mushroom said:

I think it's because mainstream consumer products like this (think Doritos, et cetera) never has the pepper flavor come through. Heat level is all we can typically evaluate. On higher quality chili flavored products the discussion should be expanded to include all the nuances of their flavor. That's my take from it anyways.

The term that isn't used enough around here, and totally should be: Piquancy

Back