• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Y-split at first node

I'd like to post a pic but my phone camera sucks and my home pc took a dump...

but I have a little Red Savina seedling that split at its first node. Any guesses as to whether this little seedling is blessed or a mutant?

Not typical per my experience unless damage occurred above the node.   

Hey, we all yearn for short bushy plants, maybe the plant channeled that want.  

Don't all pepper plants make a split, with the first bud growing in the crotch, thereof? Or, sans picture, am I just misunderstanding the question?

solid7 said:
Don't all pepper plants make a split, with the first bud growing in the crotch, thereof? Or, sans picture, am I just misunderstanding the question?

Normally they don't split at the first node (where the cotyledons part and the true leaf comes in) so it is unusual.

I haven't had this happen ever personally.

Helvete said:
Normally they don't split at the first node (where the cotyledons part and the true leaf comes in) so it is unusual.
^^^this is the split, i expected the first pair of true leaves. I ended up with 2 pair!
My fingers are crossed for a beast of a plant.

Malarky said:
^^^this is the split, i expected the first pair of true leaves. I ended up with 2 pair!
My fingers are crossed for a beast of a plant.
Be sure to save seeds if 2 peppers grow from each flower!  haha

Back