• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Opinions on something I wrote.

Fifty pepper seed businesses were asked: Why should folk shop with you?  Peppers by Mail (my family) was one of the eight who responded.  Looking at the other seven responses, I think how I responded stands out.  I do no think it was a better response than the others, just different.  So better at reaching some folk, not so good at reaching other folk.

When I started the online sales, I asked friends and family how much of me should come threw on the internet.  Most said be myself, but I had doubts because I am kind of a hippie in a clown suit.  Still not sure that is a good thing.  So hoping for folk here to give me their opinions.  Does Peppers by Mail stand out the way I think it does in this article?  Is it a good thing or a bad thing that I am honest about how small we are?

Thank you in advance.  I dont think even Hot Pepper knows how much help members of his forum have helped my family and I.  Serious hard times from the last hospital stay, but due to much advice from members the business has been keeping us going.

http://browse-read.com/best-hot-pepper-seeds-shops/

Victory Seed and your bit were the ones that stood out to me.  

Although I have not purchased from you, I probably need to next season.

Your candor and honesty are quite refreshing given the nature of the retail market.

Thanks for posting.

ajdrew said:
 Does Peppers by Mail stand out the way I think it does in this article?  

I like the response - it's definitely not cookie cutter. lol 

But it's super earthy/hippy/friendly

The only issue is that it's a little limiting. It sort of discourages growth or expansion.  The bit about "we don't take preorders" for example - I know what you're trying to convey with that, but why limit yourself? What if I, as a potential customer, want you to grow 500 lbs of Thai chiles for me this year? You would say no to a contracted grow?  

You can always say no to someone if they ask, but wouldn't it be wise to listen to any business opportunity presented? I guess I don't understand why you would shut down that conversation before you even have it.

Is it a good thing or a bad thing that I am honest about how small we are?

You can never go wrong with the truth. Being honest about your business can help others know if they want to do business with you. I've been bullshitted so many times since I started my company - I am always as forthright as possible. Of course, sometimes information is none of someone's business, so I'll gracefully decline to respond if that's the case. But in general, if someone asks me something I give an honest response (even if that response is "none of your business" or "I'm not comfortable sharing that info")

Regardless, honesty is the best policy 99 times out of 100. 

sicman said:
You asked for opinions. Great read. The part where you say, dont buy from us. Thats not the kind of thing you say when selling your product. Lol.

I agree with this as well. 

3eA2qMp.jpg

grantmichaels said:
TL;DR ...

That's not snark, it's advice ...

I also thought it a bit wordy - agreed. 

The Hot Pepper said:
Good stuff man. I didn't find it wordy we were supposed to learn about your company and you told us something new with each word. Some people have short attention spans lol.

(I usually do but you drew me in.)

It's a part of my appeal in terms of impulsive shopping, though ...

Luckydog, I think you are right about not taking preorders being limiting.  But I think it is more of recognizing limits than setting them.  Until I have employees that my wife can manage, I am mainly it.  So far hospital stays have lined up off season, but if one hits at the wrong time I am sunk for a season.  Would much rather be sunk financially for a season and able to rebound than sunk financially and have a horrible reputation.  Someday it will be different.  I have confidence.

So it really gives the reader a good picture of what your farm is like, and it provides an opportunity for the customer to get to know you. But yeah, it is long so its a give and take. If I wasn't making it a point to read that because it is yours I would honestly have skimmed through it or maybe just passed on reading it if I was casually shopping. 

AJDrew
Your writing gave me the feeling that I'm sure you are trying to convey. You are the people that really care about others, yourselves, and the world in general. REFRESHINGLY RARE in today's society. You need not change a thing. GODBLESS you and yours for who you are and what you do.

The Hot Pepper said:
Seems ajdrew learned a lot from a Florida grower that pre-sells, can't fulfill orders, but promises free stuff with your order next season. :shocked:
With legitimate contract growing good things can happen as well as bad. Maybe ajdrew can be the yin to that person's yang. ;)

I read everyone of them and victorys write up got me to go to their site with out even finishing reading.  It touched on all the things that are important to me with out bogging me down. HOWEVER, Victories home page is a disgusting eyesore so crammed with links and info i didnt even bother to click any, Your site is far better and I like reading about how a farmer goes about his business and how his family and community is involved  ON THEIR WEBSITE, just not in a brief write up trying to get me to go to the site or "bait" me.  Tell me i'll find a cornucopia of organic, sustainably farmed, heirloom and rare peppers, and Ill go to your website to find out your story.

Back