• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Awesome trellis wire I had to share

I have grown blackberries for several years using traditional metal wire for trellising and its always been a pain.  I put in several raspberries last year and wanted to do a better job of trellising them and found this monofilament wire. 
http://www.orchardvalleysupply.com/products/vineyard-monofilament-wire

Its similar to weedwacker string and dosent need any hardware! :party:  
IMG_1994_zpscbv7gw8o.jpg
you just use their special knot which is just wrapping the excess up then down the wire and sticking it through.  Do it on both sides and your done.
IMG_1995_zpsyd0js6ab.jpg
heres a shot of the whole thing, I know its not much to look at right now, I put in three bare root heritage raspberries last year  but this will just be a wall of canes this season.
IMG_1993_zpsg0wbdank.jpg
I just wanted to share how awesome this stuff is, really easy to work with and no extra hardware.  I got really lucky today actually and the whole install only took like 45min I think.

how much tension can it accomidate?

lol i just dropped fairly serious cash on parts and a tool to do a high tension trellis. 9 gauge galvanized wire.  400lbs tension on each line.

queequeg152 said:
how much tension can it accomidate?

lol i just dropped fairly serious cash on parts and a tool to do a high tension trellis. 9 gauge galvanized wire.  400lbs tension on each line.

They make two types. One holds 400lb, the other holds 1200lb. Can't you read, boy?!  ;)

was that link there when this thread dropped?

and damn this stuff looks nice... do they sell smaller rolls?

and you just wrap this shit around itself?

fuck why didnt i see this like a week ago. i bought all of these steel squeezer things and splice things.

heres the vid.  the tying technique starts at about 1:40  they use a tensioner but I didnt need it that tight so I skipped it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xjewfRfMds

damn... i coulda saved like 80 bucks using this stuff. 9 gauge wire is pretty much impossible to wrap around like that.

it looks like hes just using a standard tensioner + gripple connector to pull tension on the wire.

oh well.

Back