• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Who is crossbreeding chillies this year? (Not commercially)

I know some people cross breed their chillies for the fun of it. I have tried in the past though without actually producing seeds, I have got my grow method dialled in and fine tuned a lot better.

So this year, I plan on doing crosses of just about everything that I can, and let the genetic dice roll next year.

By the looks of things at the moment, the Datils will see a lot of "action", followed some way in the distance by the Nagas and yellow Habanero; then the Reaper and the C7. The Qunitishos may get involved but we will have to see. And right on their tails are the Nagalaghs, Caramel Bhut and Jigsaw.

The Hawks claw and cayenne stand a good chance to cross too. Would be interesting to see how those two get on. I see them being a serious possibility this year.

Purely on the fun factor derived from an unpredictable outcome, what would really be great is to have a F1 seed swap.

Anyone?

I take my kids to the dance, and let them mingle - but I don't do anything more to encourage their antics.

Nevertheless, every year, I get some interesting results. Some repeatable, some not. I'm always interested to see what people come up with, and what the next tastiest (and hottest) thing will be...

I still have to learn how to cross peppers lol. I would like to cross a scotch bonnet or bahamian goat with a bishops. I'm not sure those 2 can cross though. I need a good tutorial on crossing. Can a chinense be crossed with a baccatum ?

solid7 said:
I take my kids to the dance, and let them mingle - but I don't do anything more to encourage their antics.

That's a great way of putting it, I've got a few open pollinated seeds I've started this season. I'm kinda hoping a few will be hybrids just for the fun of it.

I love the taste of Jimmy Nardello's, maybe if I'm up for it I'll try intentionally crossing them with something this year perhaps a Albanian red hot/Jimmy Nardello mix would be fun.

Calamari Kid said:
I know some people cross breed their chillies for the fun of it. I have tried in the past though without actually producing seeds, I have got my grow method dialled in and fine tuned a lot better.

So this year, I plan on doing crosses of just about everything that I can, and let the genetic dice roll next year.

By the looks of things at the moment, the Datils will see a lot of "action", followed some way in the distance by the Nagas and yellow Habanero; then the Reaper and the C7. The Qunitishos may get involved but we will have to see. And right on their tails are the Nagalaghs, Caramel Bhut and Jigsaw.

The Hawks claw and cayenne stand a good chance to cross too. Would be interesting to see how those two get on. I see them being a serious possibility this year.

Purely on the fun factor derived from an unpredictable outcome, what would really be great is to have a F1 seed swap.

Anyone?
I think I'll try to do some crossing this year. I think I'll try to cross Brazilian Starfish with a Trinidad Scorpion, Carolina Reaper and Red Naglah. Thanks for the inspiration!

I'm going to be trying a cross with a Rosita yellow with a lot of various yellow pods this year.  I am also growing it out in iso (cup method).  

I wouldn't mind doing an F1 seed swap.   

SavinaRed said:
I still have to learn how to cross peppers lol. I would like to cross a scotch bonnet or bahamian goat with a bishops. I'm not sure those 2 can cross though. I need a good tutorial on crossing. Can a chinense be crossed with a baccatum ?
baccatum crosses with a lot of species, it crosses with both chinense and frutescens which rarely cross themselves, so can be used as a bridge between the two. 

A few things I found.. I have seen other charts like this, so I'm sure more info is out there: (I found all this in ten minutes of Googling - but I have seen it all before, so I knew what to search for)

genetic-improvement-in-chilli-21-638.jpg

chart2.jpg

Here is a breeding/traits/stability table (course, this relies on the ability to select correctly)
dddd.png

fwiw:

P1 x P1 = F1
F1 x F1 = F2
F2 x F2 = F3
etc.

Here is one method on how we breed canna... Canna isn't the exact same as peppers, but very similar in most departments.
919GWS2.jpg

* The larger the pool to chose from, the better the chances on making the best cross (finding that special pheno... winning the breeding lottery! lol)

In Canna, we consider F6 to be IBL (inbred line). Some consider at F5.

Link to another chart (can't link the pic like above)
with lengthy explanation

Another link - shared before on this forum (click)

Post on this forum from Matt50680 (click)

Another source of info (click)

The best way to breed is to make an IBL father and an IBL mother (so there are literally only two sets of traits to start with). Make the cross, and then work them (selective breeding). This will increase your chances of finding and keeping what you're looking for throughout the generations.

Back