• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Assaholic Birds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got home to find 4 empty pots on my seedling table.  Looking around, I found 2 wilted, dying plants laying pitifully on the table. The other two were just GONE!  It seems a local species of bird is getting its jollies by uprooting my 3~4 inch young plants. This happened a few times last year as well.  Has anyone else experienced Bird Mayhem?

Geonerd said:
Got home to find 4 empty pots on my seedling table.  Looking around, I found 2 wilted, dying plants laying pitifully on the table. The other two were just GONE!  It seems a local species of bird is getting its jollies by uprooting my 3~4 inch young plants. This happened a few times last year as well.  Has anyone else experienced Bird Mayhem?

Yes last year the dck birds where hitting me good. I always get some in the garden but someone had taken upon themselves to start pecking holes in my peppers. I tried resorting to bird netting but toads and birds where always getting tangled up in it. 

I get packs(20+) of chickadees that just seem to wait for you to turn your back on a freshly seeded ground. This may sound stupid but I plant in the evenings when the birds aren't watching closely. Damn birds will pick a tomato to death just to get to the seeds.

robbyjoe01 said:
I get packs(20+) of chickadees that just seem to wait for you to turn your back on a freshly seeded ground. This may sound stupid but I plant in the evenings when the birds aren't watching closely. Damn birds will pick a tomato to death just to get to the seeds.

chickadees I don't mind some much, I get a lot of doves and assbirds. I mean grackles. I hate them jerks. I used to put up bird feeders but the grackles would just kick everything onto the ground and attack the other birds. Now I only put out thistle seed for golden finches. Though the seeds supposed to be inert my lawn begs to differ. 

We get Robins that love seedlings. It's weird. CJ has done extensive research on just WTF they are up to. As it turns out, Robins can see infrared energy and they mistake seedlings for worms/grubs. It seems that the seedlings put out just enough infrared energy for the Robins to pick them. Once they reach 2-3 inches though, they leave them alone. I've always wondered why Robins tilt their head when they are hunting for worms. It turns out they are looking at the energy through one eye. I know it sounds cray cray but she has read that from several reputable sources.

same here , the robins would snip my tomatoes down , now i cage them for a while till they get bigger ,  The pepper plants they don't mess with , their to big for them to snip .

Stop spraying your plants with assahol and your local birds will go elsewhere. Just spray them with compost tea or a weak epsom salt solution like a normal person. I have had no bird issues since I stopped applying assahol a few years ago.
     Good luck!

I drop a few with one of my pellet rifles
Fishing line around the foot,then tied to a wood stake.
They get the warning pretty quick and stay a good distance from their deceased brethren.

Geonerd said:
I bought some netting to protect all my berry plants. I haven't had that problem with seedlings but if I did I would also place netting over them for protection.

TNKS said:
They get the warning pretty quick and stay a good distance from their deceased brethren.
Savage!

Crows were attacking my onions two years ago. I found out that they liked my white name tabs, pulled and broke them to bits, and pulled my onions as an afterthought. A few bottle rockets moved them along.

TNKS said:

Screw that.

I don't even kill the damned hornworms (although they may starve after I move them.)

TNKS said:
I shoot crows too
Tear up my sht and your ticket gets punched

You'd probably shoot Muhamed Ali in the face too.

Big whup.
Untitled.jpg

Yeah I'm not into the whole killing thing either.

If I were you I would just distract them with a nearby bird feeder.

My seedlings are completely inclosed by my Aluminet shade cloth, so I don't have to worry about birds.

Spicy Mushroom said:
Yeah I'm not into the whole killing thing either.

If I were you I would just distract them with a nearby bird feeder.

My seedlings are completely inclosed by my Aluminet shade cloth, so I don't have to worry about birds.

Don't mind him, he's a proud texan. Muchacho bravado is the state theme.

Killing solves EVERYTHING. :rofl:

Scoville DeVille said:

Don't mind him, he's a proud texan. Muchacho bravado is the state theme.

Killing solves EVERYTHING. :rofl:

I hate that dude!! And all his racist BS and retarded farming techniques,  friggen jackass should be banned IMO

:cheers:  You Rock Scovie!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back