Sunday Funday Brunch Stout

Okay here we go. This will hopefully turn out very similar to Founder's Breakfast Stout. Making a true "clone" is not what I'm after here. I found recipes that are supposed clones and went real close to those.

I'll post the recipe here when I get to my pc.

I'm going to do a batch and a half. One regular 5gal and another 2.5 that I'm going to age with some oak chips and Woodford Reserve Bourbon.

I can't get the volume I need out of my 10gal mash tun so I'm doing 2 seperate mashes with 1/2 the grain.

Great day to brew. Rain off and on. Sitting in the garage drinking a beer and brewing.

Just waiting for the boil now. Both mashes complete. 1.085 on both first runnings and 1.065 1st, 2nd combined.

Once we get the hot break we'll be doing a 90 min boil.

Hot break

Hit them both with some O2 and US-05 and in the chamber they go.

Adding the extra 1/2 batch messed my numbers up. Only ended up being 1.075 OG. I think I had too much volume in there. A 1-1.5 gallons less would have been a lot closer. Should have started around 1.082ish. Oh well, if I had 1-1.5 less wort I would have been short in the fermenters because my spout clogged up in the keggle. I'm going to have to mess with it and change some parts around.

In a week I'll add some nibs to the main batch and nibs, oak chips, and bourbon to the other.

I added it already during whirlpool. It was an 11gal pre boil, and I did 3 ozs of beans cracked. I'm planning to taste it after the ferm and see if I need to add more.

Racked over to the secondaries. Vanilla and nibs for the 5gal batch, and French oak chips, Woodford Reserve and nibs in the 2.5 gal batch.

The sample taste terrific. Thanks to Wheebz for the coffee guidance. It is spot on. Taste is there and not astringent at all. Very smooth. I have pretty high hopes for these batches.

The 5 gallon batch is going to get kegged in the next week or so.

The 2.5 gallon bourbon oak batch will still sit for a few months. I may pull a sample to taste I though and see how it's progressing.

Okay. Racked over the 5 gal batch to a purged keg and carbed up a sample.

Yum, yum. Damn tasty. Still need to steal a sample from the bourbon batch. I think it's going to be fantastic. I'm really digging this sample and I know the bourbon and oak is going glen well with what I'm tasting here.

Back