• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Scotch Bonnets: MOA vs TFM

So, they are both yellow, they are both among people's favourites, they are both Scotch Bonnets.
We're talking about the Ministry of Agricolture (MOA)  SB and the so called Trenton's Farmers Market (TFM) SB: has anyone tried both?

Are there any substantial differences in shape, flavour or heat?
And if so, which are they?

I'm growing MOA this year, but i would give a try to the TFM next year, do you think it's worth?
I'd love to see pictures of your MOAs and TFMs!

Roberto

Wicked Mike said:
Now that's a chewing gum I'd buy.

Sadly we can't even get cinnamon gum without importing over here. Would totally chew some good Scotch Bonnet and salted caramel gum though.

TFM: compact plant, early producer, prolific, beautifully shaped
Here's an old pic from a couple seasons go:

I've only sampled MOA powder and i find it pretty similar to my memory of TFM flavor. So i would say they're equally good and representative of a prototypical SB.
I'm not the best person to suggest you the 'best' bonnet because nowadays i don't like anymore their typical fruity chinense taste and prefer the dry/bitter punch of bhuts/nagas.

Cya

Datil

MoA

12065670_1095677217132670_2633594457697801776_n.jpg

Datil said:
TFM: compact plant, early producer, prolific, beautifully shaped
Here's an old pic from a couple seasons go:

I've only sampled MOA powder and i find it pretty similar to my memory of TFM flavor. So i would say they're equally good and representative of a prototypical SB.
I'm not the best person to suggest you the 'best' bonnet because nowadays i don't like anymore their typical fruity chinense taste and prefer the dry/bitter punch of bhuts/nagas.

Cya

Datil

JoynersHotPeppers said:

Those are fantastic pods guys!!!
It seems that most chileheads prefer SB to Habaneros, what do you think?

Roberto great thread to start a debate ... we all know the history of the MoA contacted negotiated and finally obtained by Steve Queen ... A lot of us are growing this pod and it remains a firm favourite in taste and flavour although a few have stated that they think its bitter

TFM "Trenton Farmer's Market" which must not be confused with TFM "True Form" (which was on the Semillias seed site a few seasons ago) originally came from Lawenceville New Jersey ... I can trace this pod back to an article written by Potawie C2Cpeppers Nov 2008 the photograph Datil has posted looks very similar to the Allen Boatman SB variety which I must say is another favourite... however as an overseas grower I cannot compete with heat and humidity so size and shape differ which I except

These were my TFM's a few seasons ago ...

I remember these pods as I first encountered "Splkes bumps pimples" on the skin rather than being smooth. Notes state overall easy variety to grow - container - pods slightly elongated with bumpy skin - medium heat good fruity taste

Guitarman said:

That seems to be the case, yeah. Mustard and chocolate habs still get love. Caribbean Reds and Red Savina as well. I haven't had any SBs yet. As long as I like them as much as Bahamian Goat or CGN21500 I will be really happy.
SavinaRed said:
I'm growing MOA's from Juanito and Judy this year and some other scotch bonnets as well.

Some others not mentioned in this thread?

I have had a rough start this year poor germination an have had to cull some ,aphid attacks etc
So I have for the first time orderd plants form Jim Duffy moa scotch bonnet not to be confused with his regular scotch bonnet he sells an TFM scotch bonnet also got chocolate scotch bonnet & chocolate habanero
I grew moa scotch bonnet form Judy seed last year.
It produced well liked it better than bahamain goat.
I still have loads of pods in the freezer.
As for habaneros my preference is scotch bonnets over them .
It was bonnets that was my gateway pepper into becoming a chilihead.
I like red bonnets over yellow so far but that just me .
I will let you know my thoughts on the TFM compared to the moa later this season

Guitarman said:

Plantguy76 said:
As for habaneros my preference is scotch bonnets over them .

I have yet to taste my first SB. As it happens, I don't like the typical habanero taste. Would an SB be a better choice for me?

MarcV said:

I don't like the typical habanero taste. Would an SB be a better choice for me?

No. If you, like me, don't like that typical chinense taste (i would refer to it as "perfumey") you will get tired by SB soon, the taste is different from habs but that chinense note is always there and prominent. That flavor becomes less disturbing to me in dried pods / powders but as chinense i always suggest bhuts/nagas for a more 'dry', peppery flavor. Also you may like some chocolate 7s and chinense x annuum, chinense x frutescens crosses.

Hope this makes sense ;)

Datil

Makes sense! :)
I tasted fatalii, they also have that taste. I also tried BOC (bhut orange copenhagen). They don't seem to have that taste...

Datil said:

No. If you, like me, don't like that typical chinense taste (i would refer to it as "perfumey") you will get tired by SB soon, the taste is different from habs but that chinense note is always there and prominent. That flavor becomes less disturbing to me in dried pods / powders but as chinense i always suggest bhuts/nagas for a more 'dry', peppery flavor. Also you may like some chocolate 7s and chinense x annuum, chinense x frutescens crosses.

Hope this makes sense ;)

Datil
Same here.
My favorites are Bhut/Naga ,Anuum ,Frutescens Pubescens.
I don't like Chinense flavor like Habanero

Back