• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

hobbies any pc gamers 'round here?

I used to be a maniac for online racing sims like rFactor, flight sims (Falcon 3, IL2, etc.) and an occasional bout of Unreal Tournament, but haven't had the bug in over a decade.  Doom3 was the last game I bought, and I regretted it due to the overly predictable monster placement.

None of the modern shooters has any appeal whatsoever.  I played some SW Battlefront at a friend's the other day and was bored in 5 minutes.  "Run around mindlessly and shoot shit" has lost it's charm. For all the advances in computer graphics over the years, Duke Nukem was 1000x more fun.

I've started playing a bit of chess lately and find modern engines scary-awesome.  Going over human games with the assistance of an engine is a good way to sharpen one's play.

i just reactivated my wow account last night to kill some time. Been eyeballing overwatch. Maybe next payday. 

I play hearthstone as well. Used to play COD, Day of defeat, skyrim and some others on PC as well. 

I play Eve... that's my game. I realize, and can fully appreciate, that it's a niche game, so it's not for everyone... it's not WoW crack.

I also picked up a hardcopy of Skyrim at the beginning of the year for 11 bucks. Can't go wrong with that, right? That game, to me, has become about modding the hell out of it, and playing for screenshots to update my wallpaper. It's a beautiful game when you pull it out of "vanilla".

Also.. there is another thread about this topic... Maybe mods can merge to keep the other relevant?

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/48718-how-many-people-are-gamers/#entry1029052

After playing it last night for a couple hours i can say this.  This game is fun for me.  

It takes time to learn the game though.   I was getting destroyed for the first few games until i started learning how to play.   

It takes thought.  "How do I counter 'x'?" I found myself thinking that a lot during that game.  However very rarely did I feel like i was "short changed" by getting killed by lag or by getting shot around a corner.  It was a pleasurable experience. 

Geonerd said:
I used to be a maniac for online racing sims like rFactor, flight sims (Falcon 3, IL2, etc.) and an occasional bout of Unreal Tournament, but haven't had the bug in over a decade.  Doom3 was the last game I bought, and I regretted it due to the overly predictable monster placement.

None of the modern shooters has any appeal whatsoever.  I played some SW Battlefront at a friend's the other day and was bored in 5 minutes.  "Run around mindlessly and shoot shit" has lost it's charm. For all the advances in computer graphics over the years, Duke Nukem was 1000x more fun.

I've started playing a bit of chess lately and find modern engines scary-awesome.  Going over human games with the assistance of an engine is a good way to sharpen one's play.
I play chess.  If it counts as a PC game then it is my favorite!

D3monic said:
i just reactivated my wow account last night to kill some time. Been eyeballing overwatch. Maybe next payday. 

I play hearthstone as well. Used to play COD, Day of defeat and some others on PC as well. 
There is a free open Beta starting today.  No need to purchase. 

I had rybka 4 a few years ago.  I play on the ICC and they have stockfish on their client for analysis or to play against if one so desires.  Back in the day I used to mess around alot with the various chessmaster programs, but modern engines are insane.

Here is a nice game between 2 top engines that I really love... very Morphy-like game for a computer.  By the way... if anyone wants to play some chess I would be down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWdMqvGMxF4

CCkFh5z.jpg

i giggled xD

I haven't played a game since my highscool years... and that was like almost 20 years ago. Last game I remember playing with my buddies was the first Colin McRae rally. I do remember I enjoyed adventure games pretty much... the graphics those days :) But the games were good.

Back