• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests White little bugs attacking a pepper plant

It appears from my 40 plants, one of them has a bunch of little white bugs on them. What can I do and can they spread to the other plants?

Pictures:

wOUUr2L.jpg

2x35iWg.jpg

Is that the best pic that you have?

Usually little white bugs for me, means whitefly. But I honestly can barely even see what is in the pic, and what I do think I see doesn't look like whitefly.

Do you notice any webbing/cotton looking stuff of any kind, typically around the stem under leaves? 

In that picture I'm assuming it is the 'grain of rice' sized object in the center of the leaves?   To me it looks like mealybug, but without a better picture I couldn't tell you for certain. 

yeah I think they are more of a light/lime green bug which looks to me like an aphid.

My kids got all excited the other day as they saw some lady bugs on my plants. I immediately flipped em over and saw aphids... however, before I could even spray some neem oil the lady bugs did their job!

chiltepin said:
Aphids

KILLS them before they kill your plant. Lots of choices, neem oil, organic solutions, beneficial insects, soapy water, chemicals whatever you are comfortable with. But get rid of them!

If this is a big infestation, you can take a pop up tent and put some lady bugs and your plant in them. Alternatively, you can cut a hole in the bottom of a cheap tent and add lady bugs if they are in the garden. 

Edit: lmao, I looked back at the picture and I didn't even see the size of the finger.   Derp.  

They are the devil.  They will suck the life out of your plant and most often appear (love) new growth.  I have taken to plucking them off with a tweezers and feeding them to my carnivorous plants. :flamethrower:

I would spray them with something organic right away and buy some Green Lacewings from a local nursery. Lady bugs work too but you'll have to trap them or spray them with watered-down soda in order for them to stick around.

Back