• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

morels

I am, going to find a way to propagate these.

20160513_1650591.jpg

These are for spore acquisition.

I always heard you could set up an outdoor mushroom area for morrels... but id did not make sense to try cultivating them indoors?

i dont recall the details as to why. i could be way off there.

but from what i remember you basically take a bed, trim it with some steel edging or bricks or what ever, then line it with geotextile, put down pasteurized medium, then some colonized spawn then cover it in black plastic untill it gets warm enough... then you let it go.

grantmichaels said:
We're pretty shafted on mushrooming down here ...

Not too many thrive, of the legal one's anyways ...

...  but of those you have claim to the great story of the finding of the single specimen of P. tampanensis! Philosopher Stones have literally gone global... no other state can say that!  :cool:

As to morels - I've only found a few extremely small specimens after a small brush fire in the woods once; they were worm ridden and not eaten. So my experience is more or less with the re-hydrated dried (not so great) kind.  :(  I'd be over the moon to find the ones pictured in the OP. How I've longed to try them how most say is arguably the best... pan fried in BUTTER!!

All the best in your sporulating adventures and endeavours, Jeff!

Wicked Mike said:
They sell kits for this.
yeah, $49.99.
I'll take the challenge, and perfect the success.

Alchymystic said:

...  but of those you have claim to the great story of the finding of the single specimen of P. tampanensis! Philosopher Stones have literally gone global... no other state can say that!  :cool:

As to morels - I've only found a few extremely small specimens after a small brush fire in the woods once; they were worm ridden and not eaten. So my experience is more or less with the re-hydrated dried (not so great) kind.  :(  I'd be over the moon to find the ones pictured in the OP. How I've longed to try them how most say is arguably the best... pan fried in BUTTER!!

All the best in your sporulating adventures and endeavours, Jeff!
Thx for the well wishes. I obtained these through a friend at work. Yes, I know someone who shares their morels.

dragonsfire said:
Would love to get some, the dried ones Ive bought are tasteless :(
Heard its very hard if not impossible to grow.
Dried properly they retain their taste. and I have heard the same thing about growing them.

grantmichaels said:
We're pretty shafted on mushrooming down here ...

Not too many thrive, of the legal one's anyways ...
you talkin about the cow pasture species? I have seen them before too.

I was able to extract a nice quantity of spores from the bunch. I will toss them in the fridge till I can get my setup,set up.
It is just an awesome dream, to grow morels in the shadow of super hots.

dragonsfire said:
Have you tried using agar dishes to grow the mycylium, makes things easier.
Explain further, I have heard morels are not your typical shrooms or everyone and the second cousin would be growing them.

Best way to grow spores and then transfer them is to grow them in a rich environment, then you can place in a food rich liquid base.

_B292619_TurkeyTailSpore-800_zps53046ec2.jpg
PB308980_LC1tbs1tsp-800_zps48a8c190.jpg

dragonsfire said:
Best way to grow spores and then transfer them is to grow them in a rich environment, then you can place in a food rich liquid base.

_B292619_TurkeyTailSpore-800_zps53046ec2.jpg
PB308980_LC1tbs1tsp-800_zps48a8c190.jpg
And you have successfully done this with not just any fungi, but morels? From what I have gathered morels require certain things to grow and they require all of them at certain times.

If there was anything good that came out of the Carlton Complex Fire 2014 and the Twisp River Fire 2015, it's the Morels. People are killing it. Boxes and boxes of them. Buyers are setting up "buy stations" all over the place and taking semi truckloads out of the valley. No idea how much they're paying but Morels are at epic numbers right now. A friend of mine picked 30lbs in about 5 hours.

Scoville DeVille said:
If there was anything good that came out of the Carlton Complex Fire 2014 and the Twisp River Fire 2015, it's the Morels. People are killing it. Boxes and boxes of them. Buyers are setting up "buy stations" all over the place and taking semi truckloads out of the valley. No idea how much they're paying but Morels are at epic numbers right now. A friend of mine picked 30lbs in about 5 hours.
Sell me a big box full :). I had morels for dinner tonight. Love em

I don't pick them and honestly between you and me and the internetwebs, I am not a huge fan of mushrooms. If I can find out how much $$ I'll let you know.

Where are you FreeportBurn? Just curious if they would ship well from North Central Washington.

Scoville DeVille said:
I don't pick them and honestly between you and me and the internetwebs, I am not a huge fan of mushrooms. If I can find out how much $$ I'll let you know.

Where are you FreeportBurn? Just curious if they would ship well from North Central Washington.
they would have to be dried first. shipping would take too long and you would end up with mush mash.

Scoville DeVille said:

Just yoking around we have some nice ones here just harder to find/ less abundant. I'm all the way across the pond in Maine :)
CAPCOM said:
they would have to be dried first. shipping would take too long and you would end up with mush mash.
Actually they ship fresh morels from Oregon and Washington overnight and they arrive in perfect condition.

FreeportBum said:

Just yoking around we have some nice ones here just harder to find/ less abundant. I'm all the way across the pond in Maine :)

Actually they ship fresh morels from Oregon and Washington overnight and they arrive in perfect condition.
yeah but you just changed the price from 49.00 a lb to 147.24.
from Washington to maine.

Back