• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Need help with tomatoes

I purchased this tomato plant from the garden center of a nearby Home Depot along with the soil I planted them in. I' have this plant in a 5 gallon container. I worked some mater magic into the soil before planting. All seemed well until I started noticing what I believe were fungus gnats and started using a neem oil spray every 7 days. I also crumbled A mosquito dunk on the gravel about a week ago. It's been about 3 weeks now and I found these dying leaves and I'm not sure what's going on with it.

8GleMuD.jpg

kxMOI8o.jpg

zyJ5vVU.jpg

Could be various stages of fertilizer burn. How much are you using? Is Mater Magic an inorganic?

Accumulation of neem on the lower edge of leaves might be burning foliage, too. Do you notice a residue after the spray dries?

The mosquito dunk definitely isn't what's causing this. Rule that out. 

bottom leaves on toms always get trashed out like that. no matter how healthy.

its from all the wind and splash back and shade and just old age. i usually just clean off the bottom two nodes once they hit like 12 nodes.

take a pic of the newest growth. if its generalized over more than the bottom few nodes worry, if not then dont.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Could be various stages of fertilizer burn. How much are you using? Is Mater Magic an inorganic?

Accumulation of neem on the lower edge of leaves might be burning foliage, too. Do you notice a residue after the spray dries?

The mosquito dunk definitely isn't what's causing this. Rule that out. 
The mater magic claims to bed organic anyway and is listed as OMRI cert. I used about 3-4 tbsp in the first few inches of soil. As far as the neem I can't really see a residue on any of the leaves. I've been using it after the sun goes down to try and avoid burn, when I check in the mornings there doesnt seem to be anything accumulating.

queequeg152 said:
bottom leaves on toms always get trashed out like that. no matter how healthy.

its from all the wind and splash back and shade and just old age. i usually just clean off the bottom two nodes once they hit like 12 nodes.

take a pic of the newest growth. if its generalized over more than the bottom few nodes worry, if not then dont.

Now that you mention it, we have had several storms with high winds recently. It definitely seems to be mostly the lower nodes. The last pic is a little higher up but it's not the latest growth. I'll have to get a pic of the newest growth when it's light out again.

It looks like a shortage of potassium,(K). Its a mobile element that can be taken/stolen from the older leaves and relocated elsewhere in the plant. Google suggests mater magic has an NPK of 5-5-9 so the K is lower than ideal for toms.

Back