• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting super fast ferment?

Hey guys, so i gave my first ferment a go, 100g of chillies, 10g of rock salt dissolved in 200ml of water, half a carrot and some brown sugar. i chopped everything in the food processor quite fine (not puree but fine chop) and left it in my closet with a silicon airlock thing. i put a bag of water in it after the first day to keep the mash submerged with some success. i stir the mash every couple hours just incase. after 24 hours it was bubbling like crazy. It has been 4 or 5 days and is still bubbling, but not as much. It started to smell quite sour and tangy. Is this normal?

there is no mold and i checked the ph with a lab grade probe that I am under the impression that it came calibrated and it read 3.57, tap water read 6.34 which is relatively normal for where i live. Is it normal for things to ferement this fast? Im alittle worried about my sauce coming out too tangy and sour.

Leave them alone and let them take their course.....I have ferments that I keep in a cool dark closet in the basement....I still have the airlock on them and check them every couple weeks....I let all my ferments go a 100 days.....

Gilthefish said:
Im alittle worried about my sauce coming out too tangy and sour.
That's the flavor of a fermented mash. You're basically making vinegar out of chilies. But it does mellow after time. I usually let mine sit for 6 months or so. Sometimes a year.

Sizzle Lips said:
Leave them alone and let them take their course.....I have ferments that I keep in a cool dark closet in the basement....I still have the airlock on them and check them every couple weeks....I let all my ferments go a 100 days.....

^^^^^^^
This. After tasting Grumpy's Gold,  I think 60 days would be an absolute minimum. 100+ for most. My flagship sauce, Spicedance aged 28 days in the first batch. It was awesome, but needed a little ACV to bring down the PH. Last night I cooked down 5 gallons of the same sauce that had gone 73 days and the PH was 3.4. Its so good. I still added ACV to keep the ingredients the same, but its such a more complex sauce. I'm in love with it. The longer the better on the aging.

Back