• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Caribbean Red vs Red Savina

Is there a definitive answer as to whether they are in fact different??

I was on multiple reputable vendor sites earlier and many straight out said, or alluded to, these two possibly being identical.

So what say you people of The Hot Pepper? Is there any noticeable difference?

I have only had the Caribbean Red (great imo), and I'm currently growing the Red Savina for the first time this grow season. I will know the answer myself soon enough! The question has been burning in my mind tonight though! haha

A really good question. I have a single "red habanero" plant. It is about 2 ft. tall and just as wide but produces some awesome pods. I don't know the geneology of it, just that somebody gave a few pods to a friend of a friend who didn't want them so gave them to me. I started a few seeds and got one healthy plant out of it. It's not close to "ghost pepper" hot so I don't think it's a savina. Probably a carribean red but I don't have any way to compare anything to. It has a very hab/chinense aroma and flavor, hotter than an orange hab, thick walls/skin with few seeds. Smooth exterior. Some pods are round almost like a ball while others slightly elongated but none are very bumpy at all.

I'm more than willing to send you seeds for free from both my 'Caribbean Red' and "Red Savina' at seasons end for comparison! They will be open-pollinated though,

*side note: are you Hawaii-based? I have a vested interest growing there. if so, do you grow perennially? 

Spicy Mushroom said:
I'm more than willing to send you seeds for free from both my 'Caribbean Red' and "Red Savina' at seasons end for comparison! They will be open-pollinated though,

*side note: are you Hawaii-based? I have a vested interest growing there. if so, do you grow perennially? 
Thanks for the offer :party:
Living & growing year-round in Kona Hawaii. Mostly in containers since my yard is 90% rock, 1 big rock :tear:
I have raised garden areas where I have a 3+ year old ghost pepper and almost as old orange hab. I try to keep my plants alive as long as possible. My container plants I usually do a hard pruning of branches and roots and repot into new soil during winter months but didn't get around to it this year. I guess you'd call that perennial ;)

Caribbean Red was first sold by Tomato Growers (part of description: "Dried samples of Caribbean Red measured 445,000 Scoville units whereas regular habanero tested at about 260,000 Scovilles".) and Red Savina are in my eyes identical.

I grew them side by side and couldn´t see and taste any difference.

But one shouldn´t mixup Caribbean Red with any other red Habanero
There are a lot of red Habanero seeds for sale that have nothing to do with Caribbean Red

semillas said:
Caribbean Red was first sold by Tomato Growers (part of description: "Dried samples of Caribbean Red measured 445,000 Scoville units whereas regular habanero tested at about 260,000 Scovilles".) and Red Savina are in my eyes identical.

I grew them side by side and couldn´t see and taste any difference.

But one shouldn´t mixup Caribbean Red with any other red Habanero
There are a lot of red Habanero seeds for sale that have nothing to do with Caribbean Red
^^ this

Back