• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OCD 2016

Ok, I wasn't going to do a glog this year. So many projects going on with the house, but part of that is a new garden plot. So, I guess this is the best way to document progress. I'm running a drip irrigation this year to free up my time for other things. Last year I discovered Aerogardening. I started plants late last year I the Aerogarden. They ended up producing and being just as big as my Feb. starts. Sold on hydro! This year I acquired another AG from a thrift shop for $5. I hacked it with a bigger pump and planning on a led hack as well. Next year I'm running a bigger scale hydro setup with my DIY Cob Led build. Anyways I'm on my 3rd batch of AG starts. I'm growing lots of GoatsWeed, Carolina Cayenne, Thai, Chi-Chien, Sadabahar, Chiltepin, Cayenne Long, Aji Pinapple, Genghis Khan Brain, Jay's Red, Srtsl x Bbg and there might be a couple of ones I forgot. Enough talk, here's some pics. More pics when it stops raining. 43 days from seed Aero Babies.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 131
sicman said:
Looking great.
Thanks Sic. I've actually cut back on peppers this year. I still think I'm at around 45 plants. I'm growing a bunch of tomato's and herbs this year. I love fresh herbs when cooking. As soon as the mud dry's, I can finish my drip system and start planting.

Had to rush to a rental and put a hot water heater in yesterday. Missed out on a 12x8x6 green house for $50. By the time I was done, it was gone. I'll build one this year for sure.

Ozzy2001 said:
Fresh herbs are the best. I absolutely love having fresh basil and Thai basil at my disposal.
Im growing Pineapple sage, thyme, basil, Rosemary, lemon balm, and dill. I might get some mint to put in a container, so it's doesn't get out of control. The frost didn't kill my thyme from last year. That made me happy.

stickman said:
I hear ya 'bout getting a late start due to too many things to do... we're pullin' for ya Chuck! Lolz!
stickman said:
I hear ya 'bout getting a late start due to too many things to do... we're pullin' for ya Chuck! Lolz!
Thanks Rick. My passion is growing. I have to find time, because that's the one stress relief I have.
Devv said:
Looking Saweet Chuck! I'm impressed with the plants and the plot! Good luck this season!
Thanks Scott. I want a garden plot like yours. Your grow was my inspiration for moving all the pots and tilling. So if it doesn't work out, I'll be PMing you. LOL! One thing I've learned from your grow is that it takes time.

OCD Chilehead said:
 Thanks Scott. I want a garden plot like yours. Your grow was my inspiration for moving all the pots and tilling. So if it doesn't work out, I'll be PMing you. LOL! One thing I've learned from your grow is that it takes time.
Well it's looking great so far. :party:  This first year you may have to do some supplementing until the amendments work in, I actually did that for several years. And still do but not as much as it's finally coming around. My change over to adding amendments in the fall before planting the cover crops made a huge difference this year. I know I have the tilth correct when I can push a 3/8" piece of rebar in almost a foot before hitting it with the hammer. I use them the stabilize the tomato cages.

It only get better from now on!

mpicante said:
Looking good over there.I mean it! Lots of work ahead of you good luck
Thanks. I definitely have some work ahead of me. I'll pot up my container plants next week. Then I can dial in the garden. My main challenge will be tuning the drip irrigation. Want to make sure it's up to par before I plant. My beds are all planted up.

Thank you all for stopping by.

Spicegeist said:
Love that pic of the cleared away soil ready to go! :party:
Trident chilli said:
Agree with Spicegeist great to see a weed free patch .... your healthy plants are itching to get in there ... all the very best for this season
Thanks guys.

I'm almost there. I've been painting the house the past couple days. I managed to get my garden tilled again, after painting yesterday. I shoveled them into rows and ran dripline (Thanks Rick!!). I put some plants in new shoe's. The grow lights are shut down. I actually only used the growlights for the Aji Pinapple's I recently recieved. The rest of my plants have been grown under the canopy of my to Aerogarden's. I wanted to see if it could be done. Well here is some pics. I think it's going to be a good year. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    276.1 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    279.6 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    215 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    242.7 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 72
Most excellent results Chuck! It looks like you certainly have things dialed in on your end. Are you going to put down mulch and hook the drip-lines up to a hose timer so you can fire and forget?

stickman said:
Most excellent results Chuck! It looks like you certainly have things dialed in on your end. Are you going to put down mulch and hook the drip-lines up to a hose timer so you can fire and forget?
That's the plan anyway. The drip emitter line works great. Thanks for the tip. I went with 1gph. I need to go through and pick the little pieces of plastic out of some of the holes. Probably not necessary, but it couldn't hurt. I'm going to put my pots in a row next to the privacy fence and shed. I will run a solid line with emitter's to water my pot's. It's amazing how much time this will save me watering.

Here is a pic of my cool compost shredder.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 68
stickman said:
Cool! Nice looking shredder too... that'll speed up composting time for sure. :party:
Yeah, that thing comes with a smaller screen as well. I'm going to see if I can get a truck load of wood chip's from a local tree trimming outfit. I'll be running that thing non stop for days.

Just got my SIP's apart and cleaned. Added some compost and mixed it up. I'll let it air out for a little bit. That'll give me an excuse to rest a bit. I'll fill them up and add some magic. Throw some plants in them tomorrow. People ask me if they get all mucked up in the reservoir. They stay nice and clean all year round. A little staining from adding some liquid nute's during the season, but not bad. I reuse everything.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    181 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    204.7 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    219.7 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 66
Been busy I see!

Looks great Chuck!

You'll love the chipper, be careful with that thang, they want to pull you in 'em when you drop old pepper plants, etc. in them.

Back