• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Shishito peppers are the shishit

These are my new favorite thing. Toss em in olive oil then cook in a dry cast iron skillet over med-high heat until they blister up and blacken then sprinkle with salt. I've probably eaten 2 pounds of these in the past 3 days.

A bit over a pound's worth I picked up at Central Market the other day (the green ones):

RxFz5GEh.jpg

All cooked up:

mPRl8QE.png

Also growing 2 Shishito plants this year and they were the first plants of the season to set fruit. I really should have planted more than 2 of them.

omY5a2Ph.jpg

g93qsGHh.jpg

Try them with Bonito Flakes too.

The Japanese name is Katsuobushi which refers to shaved, dried, smoked and fermented bonito! Sound familiar? We smoke, dry, ferment and slice our fresh peppers pods! Under $7 for a package of flakes, it has many uses in rice, soups and first courses like blistered Shishito peppers! Enjoy!

Never have tried the Shishito's, they look just amazing all roasted! I'm betting they are even better than the cast iron skillet w/ olive oil as you describe jalapeno's I sometimes make are - and they are hard to beat!! I saw some Shishito plants for sell the other day, I might have to go see if they are still for sell! I'm a bit jealous of that Aleppo powder... Lol. (never had the pleasure of trying Aleppo anything). I'd have to probably make a 2 hour round trip to the nearest Middle Eastern grocery to be able to find some. (if they even carry it)

Nice Chupetinho's too! Aren't they just awesome!? I love those little guys! Beautiful peppers all around... those yellow, orange, and red ones in the corner just scream 'eat me' and are like a welcome sign announcing warm & sunny summer days!  :P  I know your enjoying! 

midwestchilehead said:
Nope, it is a hybrid bell pepper called the "Enjoya." From Holland, I believe.

Yep, I got some a while back. The professionals grow them via grafting but the seeds germinate great, I'm just hoping they grow true.

As for the Shishito (known as "Sweet Wrinkled Old Man" over here), how different are they to Padrons? Are they worth growing if I can easily get the latter? I know Padrons are amazing fried up like that but do I need two types of flash frying chillies?

Alchymystic said:
Never have tried the Shishito's, they look just amazing all roasted! I'm betting they are even better than the cast iron skillet w/ olive oil as you describe jalapeno's I sometimes make are - and they are hard to beat!! I saw some Shishito plants for sell the other day, I might have to go see if they are still for sell! I'm a bit jealous of that Aleppo powder... Lol. (never had the pleasure of trying Aleppo anything). I'd have to probably make a 2 hour round trip to the nearest Middle Eastern grocery to be able to find some. (if they even carry it)

Nice Chupetinho's too! Aren't they just awesome!? I love those little guys! Beautiful peppers all around... those yellow, orange, and red ones in the corner just scream 'eat me' and are like a welcome sign announcing warm & sunny summer days!  :P  I know your enjoying! 

Definitely worth picking up those shishito plants if they're still around, they seem to be pretty dang prolific and are very early season compared to everything else I'm growing. That aleppo pepper powder is pretty tasty too, I first had it on some kebabs at a restaurant a few months back and was pretty excited to find it in store. If you want some shoot me a PM & next time I head out grocery shopping I can pick some up and stick it in the mail. They sell it in bulk at that store & it's really cheap. They have a ton of different varieties in the bulk section, I got some tabasco powder too.

Also I think those ones that look like chupetinhos might be biquinhos since they were completely mild with no heat. They're sold at the olive bar though & not labeled so I'm not sure. I am growing two chupetinho plants this year and am really looking forward to those. 

The ones in the top right corner were called "dulce mediteraneo" and they are incredibly sweet and taste kinda like the best bell pepper ever. The store I got all these at is called Central Market and they have an awesome produce section with a pretty good size part dedicated to peppers:

FxTPNPH.jpg

They even had dried Butch T Scorpions:

oW8Bwel.jpg

spicefreak said:

Yep, I got some a while back. The professionals grow them via grafting but the seeds germinate great, I'm just hoping they grow true.

As for the Shishito (known as "Sweet Wrinkled Old Man" over here), how different are they to Padrons? Are they worth growing if I can easily get the latter? I know Padrons are amazing fried up like that but do I need two types of flash frying chillies?

I have never tried padron peppers so I couldn't tell you. I looked them up though and it looks like they should be pretty similar, the shishitos are just a bit larger/longer. I'm pretty impressed with my shishito pepper plants so far, both are absolutely loaded with pods & are quite vigorous so if you got room it wouldn't hurt to give them a try. 

I might have to add padrons to my list for next year so I can compare them since those look pretty tasty too.

Jealous of the pepper selection you have there! That is pretty cool!

This is my second year growing shishitos and they always are the first to pod up. I have 2 plants growing as well.

TXCG said:

I have never tried padron peppers so I couldn't tell you. I looked them up though and it looks like they should be pretty similar, the shishitos are just a bit larger/longer. I'm pretty impressed with my shishito pepper plants so far, both are absolutely loaded with pods & are quite vigorous so if you got room it wouldn't hurt to give them a try. 

I might have to add padrons to my list for next year so I can compare them since those look pretty tasty too.

Do you think these would make a good powder? Or better eaten fresh? I have never grown them.   Always looking for new flavors

Back