• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Garden Treasure Microbes alive ?

The process of decomposition of plant material uses animal activity, microbial and fungal (fungi)
they are all in the ground already, feed them and the soil will live.

floricole said:
The process of decomposition of plant material uses animal activity, microbial and fungal (fungi)
they are all in the ground already, feed them and the soil will live.
I live in the city I have compacted soil that may or may not have been exposed to chemical fertilizers in the past. I garden indoors and in a greenhouse with fairly clean soil mixes that are organic but bagged (not that much oxygen) sometimes I just use coir  with perlite no microbial activity.

I have found that about the best and most efficient way to add beneficial microbes to any soil mix you are either preparing yourself or purchasing is to add Worm castings to your mix.
I make up my own planting soils here for both seedlings as well as final stage plant growth and have found that when I mix in the earthworm castings to the seedling mix I have on average three to five earthworms in each of my 4in pots when I take the seedling out for repotting. Castings contain all the beneficial microbes your soil needs and they must also contain juvenile worms because there were none in the seedling mix when I created it.

Galveston340 said:
I have found that about the best and most efficient way to add beneficial microbes to any soil mix you are either preparing yourself or purchasing is to add Worm castings to your mix.
I make up my own planting soils here for both seedlings as well as final stage plant growth and have found that when I mix in the earthworm castings to the seedling mix I have on average three to five earthworms in each of my 4in pots when I take the seedling out for repotting. Castings contain all the beneficial microbes your soil needs and they must also contain juvenile worms because there were none in the seedling mix when I created it.

I have tried store bought worm castings with no significant results. I have compost worms in my compost but it's not done yet.

Back