• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

I could really use you help

A couple of months ago my hubby and I bought a 75 Corvette that needs some - read: a lot - of work.

We've discovered that we need a part for the steering column and that part is unfortunately discontinued. It was only put in cars from 69-76 and it's impossible for us to find anywhere while sitting here in Denmark.

The part is sort of a lever attached to the hazard knob inside the steering column and it looks like this:

If any of you can help with locating that part (GM # 7814336) we'd be very grateful. Until we get it the car can't get a licence plate and can't go anywhere :tear:

How much are you willing to spend?   I can call my local classic junk yard and see what they have around here.   Shipping from the states might be expensive.  

Here is a good database I have used to locate parts.  Sometimes there are more common vehicles that use the same part.  Like Mustangs and Cougars. 

http://www.gmpartswiki.com/query 

This shows that Oldsmobile until 72 used this part, some caddy's too. 

another thing to consider... is locating and joining a local corvette club, or just maby an american classic car club? these folks have the low down on everyting from mechanics to good junk yards to places to find good parts...

might not be a common thing in denmark of all places, but its something to consider.

queequeg152 said:
another thing to consider... is locating and joining a local corvette club, or just maby an american classic car club? these folks have the low down on everyting from mechanics to good junk yards to places to find good parts...

might not be a common thing in denmark of all places, but its something to consider.

That is how I know of the junk yard near me.  Restored a 1969 cougar with my dad when I was younger.  Still have the membership to the classic muscle club. lol

Ya its a tough part to find for sure, defintily join some clubs.  If you join the forum at Corvette owners of america they have a classified section where you can find just about everything.

Thanks so much for trying to help.

sirex said:
UNder product details there is a part that is as close to OEM as possible. Check it out it might work.
We've looked at that page but what we got out of it is that both 7814336 and 252077 were discontinued. Maybe our English failed us?

Vicious Vex said:
How much are you willing to spend?   I can call my local classic junk yard and see what they have around here.   Shipping from the states might be expensive.  

Here is a good database I have used to locate parts.  Sometimes there are more common vehicles that use the same part.  Like Mustangs and Cougars. 

http://www.gmpartswiki.com/query 

This shows that Oldsmobile until 72 used this part, some caddy's too. 

It would be great if you're willing to call your local junk yard and get back to me with a price (that is if they have one at all).
I'll check out your link after reading/writing here :P

queequeg152 said:

Actually we did join http://www.club-corvette.dk but thank for thinking about that.

fiveohmike said:
Ya its a tough part to find for sure, defintily join some clubs.  If you join the forum at Corvette owners of america they have a classified section where you can find just about everything.
Maybe we should look into that too, thanks.

Man, that's a tough one. I looked on two of my favorite sites and yeah, "Discontinued". I am afraid that Corvette parts are about the hardest to find on the planet. Very sought after! My guess is that even junk yards in America will be very limited on Corvette parts. I might suggest getting creative. It's a switch. Maybe re-route a new switch to the dashboard. It might not be "original" but if it makes the car legal and functional, well worth it in my book. It would suck to have a car like that just sitting there because of a $7 part that is discontinued.

My 2¢

Scoville DeVille said:
Man, that's a tough one. I looked on two of my favorite sites and yeah, "Discontinued". I am afraid that Corvette parts are about the hardest to find on the planet. Very sought after! My guess is that even junk yards in America will be very limited on Corvette parts. I might suggest getting creative. It's a switch. Maybe re-route a new switch to the dashboard. It might not be "original" but if it makes the car legal and functional, well worth it in my book. It would suck to have a car like that just sitting there because of a $7 part that is discontinued.

My 2¢

while your at it... throw in a fuel inejcted motor and ABS =). old cars are scary.

queequeg152 said:

while your at it... throw in a fuel inejcted motor and ABS =). old cars are scary.

My '67 Coupe DeVille would scare the brown stuff right out of you. :rofl:
4600 lbs, 0-60mph - 9 seconds. No Fuel Injection and no ABS. 

Scoville DeVille said:

My '67 Coupe DeVille would scare the brown stuff right out of you. :rofl:
4600 lbs, 0-60mph - 9 seconds. No Fuel Injection and no ABS. 

lol. will that car even start up without one of these?

1373836-pimp_hat.jpg

I have sent you PM .... I have had a reply from Claremont Corvette in Kent UK ... they have the hazard knob its original and has original screw however they say the grey lever in your photograph is not a Corvette part

Cost £24 which includes VAT and postage I am sure postage to Denmark won't be much more

All in email which I will forward

It looks like Part #11 - "Hazard Bearing Race"

Does that hazard knob slide up and down? Or do you pull it in and out. This is troubling to me. I HATE not being able to find parts! Why couldn't you have decided to restore a Ford Fiero or a 1970 Buick Skylark!?!?!?!?!

:rofl:

TTBlowupPicRev03FE04-1.jpg

It seems like I've asked you guys to perform a miracle :P

Trident chilli said:
I have sent you PM .... I have had a reply from Claremont Corvette in Kent UK ... they have the hazard knob its original and has original screw however they say the grey lever in your photograph is not a Corvette part

Cost £24 which includes VAT and postage I am sure postage to Denmark won't be much more

All in email which I will forward
I'm sorry to tell you that I already have the hazard knob and screw but it's the lever I'm in need of. The lever is actually a genuine GM part with #7814336 but unfortunately it's discontinued which may be why Claremont Corvette don't know about it?

Scoville DeVille said:
It looks like Part #11 - "Hazard Bearing Race"

Does that hazard knob slide up and down? Or do you pull it in and out. This is troubling to me. I HATE not being able to find parts! Why couldn't you have decided to restore a Ford Fiero or a 1970 Buick Skylark!?!?!?!?!

:rofl:

It is #11 :P  and according to my hubby it's pushed in when you want it to blink and out to end blinking.
As for not restoring a Ford Fiero or a Buick Skylark they're just not Vettes ;)

Back