• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Pure Honey.

Shorerider

Staff Member
Extreme Member
I have been gifted some pure honey by a good friend of mine, who's sister keeps bees.
20160521_024725.jpg

While one is just like your traditional honey and flows fine (left), the other has set to a semi solid state (right), and is very cloudy in color. If worked with a spoon, it then becomes more fluid just like regular honey, I'm told heating also makes it more fluid.

Both honeys are from the same property/land so I wouldn't think they would be so different. 

Could someone please tell me what is going on here?

Oh and by the way, I've had the honey on the left in a Chai tea (as sweetener) and it was frigging beautiful! I can see this honey making its way into one of my sauces soon.  :P

SR. 

The right is raw honey, the left is processed/boiled however they do it, without a googling... that is the best I can do lol. You can put the raw jar in hot water and it will soften, over time it may crystallize but that is no problem.

Thanks guys. I've been doing some reading since Boss's initial post, it seems that the raw honey is far more beneficial to us than pasteurized/processed honey.

Raw honey contains yeasts, pollen, and enzymes that are removed or killed during processing. Some honey that doesn't contain pollen, can't actually be called honey by law. 

The things we learn on a pepper forum......

SR.

The Hot Pepper said:
Local raw honey is said to be good for the common cold.

It also helps with allergies.  Its a must for me and my wife.  Its nice too...the local honey booth at our Farmers Market just happens to be right near Lucky Dogs booth :)

My father in law is a beekeeper, and honey can vary quite a bit in both color and how much it crystallizes. Also filtration makes a difference. He does not filter it, or heat treat it, and yet it still varies. The wild flower honey from Florida is pretty dark, but seems to vary in its crystallization. However, the orange blossom honey is always light and free flowing. The flowers themselves can really change a lot of the color and composition of honey. 

What a waste.....................................

Every time I move to a new area (which is a lot), my family buys a bunch of local raw honey to help prepare us for the local allergens. We eat a spoonful a day each until it's all gone!

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Back