• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting First ferment processed

Here are some process photos of my recent fermented sauce trials. First of all I need to do better at documenting my process with photos!
[SIZE=12.8px]This is 91 days in to a ferment of ripe jalapenos, red aji somethings, carrot, onion, garlic, roast capsicum (blackened skin removed), sea salt and filtered water. Blended and placed in 2 mason jars, plastic lid with air locks.[/SIZE]

Both jars had a darker layer at the top, I opened the left jar first and it smelled fantastic, so I poured in in to the pot. The bottle on the right though, had an unpleasant smell, kinda reminded me of the smell of a pile of grass clippings after it had been sitting in the sun for a couple of weeks. So I poured this one in the bin. The smell improved towards the bottom of the jar, but I chucked it anyway.

[SIZE=12.8px]Bubbling away for 10 minutes. I then shoved a stick blender in there, and put it back over the flame with a little more filtered water for another 10 minutes before pouring through a silicon funnel in to 2 bottles. [/SIZE]

I also made a non fermented sauce with nearly identical ingredients as a comparison right after bottling this one, but only took a photo of the bottled sauce. I added some lime juice to this fresh sauce to give a bit of acidity to the flavour. I also strained out the fibrous matter, and added a tiny bit of Xanthan gum.

Several learnings on this day last week:
1- I need to lift my process photo game.
2- I cooked the fermented sauce too long, it's very thick, has a bit of a chutney feel to it. Which is a great flavour, but maybe too much so.
3- not acidic enough after 90 days, need to either ferment longer or add more acid during processing if I wish to upscale this sauce.
4- the plastic lids don't give a proper air tight seal. I've looked around some photos on here since, and most airlocks are in one of the metal 2 part lids, which have a good seal.
5- Use bigger jars. Fermented sauce is delicious!
6- A tiny bit of Xanthan gum has a huge effect

I prepared another ferment on the same day, using brain strains in place of the jalapenos. Might post that one later.
Thanks for looking, I appreciate any and all advice!
Andy

Student of Spice said:
Man those dark areas always scare me when i see them though

Most of my jarred ferments get the darker layers towards the top after fermenting, even though they aren't in the light or opened during the run. So long as it smells good and tests low enough I don't worry.  :) 

Back