• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

mrgg*s PURPLE playground

Starting a purple thread. While there will be pictures of normal green plants, the main focus will be the color PURPLE  :eek:

Got a few varieties of things that came in, but only germinating a few for fun since it's so late into the season already. If anything, my plan is to toss a few pics up here and there at my leisure. 

Enjoy!

Here are most of the things I started. This is mostly just a preview for next year when I run more seed to select through. I know not all of these are purple varieties; a few I just wanted to try sooner than later like the Brazilian Starfish and the Fish Pepper. 
IMG_4056_zpsqetibf4d.jpg

Some of the first purple to show...
IMG_4127_zpsximsmjjb.jpg

IMG_4126_zpscjkhsbnt.jpg

And some Fooled You Jalapenos. They have zero heat, but should be full flavor. I wanted one or two plants so I could just slice in half, hit with oil, salt, and garlic, and grill. And this way I can literally eat pounds of it should I have the desire (and means) to do so.

I plan to give a bunch of plants away to coworkers. I usually germinate many more than I need to make sure I get what I need, pick the best and then give the rest... away.
IMG_4123_zpsnumv96j7.jpg

Here is a list of seeds I already have, which are some sort of purple or blackish varieties. Not all plants are all purple but purple phenos can be found. I am considering anything with purple in the leaves, stems, or pods (again, only a few of them are being germinated this season):

Yaki Brown
Purple Flash
Black Pearl
Purple Jalapeno
Pink Tiger
Purple Tiger
THSC Black Scorpion Tongue
Royal Black
Pimenta Elisir x Neyde
Redgum TigerMAMP
Peachgum TigerMAMP

Initially I thought this was going to be another LED glog, but purple pepper plants - even better! Looking forward to seeing your plants develop! -thread followed

For those that are interested, but don't want to go far...

Sources of seeds and pics (from sources or other, not mine)

Yaki Brown - https://www.buckeyepepper.com/yaki-brown?search=yaki
Specifically chosen for being a chinense with broad purple leaves.
yaki-brown-322-500x500.JPG

yaki-brown-a3641-500x500.JPG

yaki-brown-a3642-500x500.JPG

Purple Flash - http://www.tomatogrowers.com/PURPLE-FLASH/productinfo/9210/

9210.jpg

01074-01_2048x2048.jpeg

DETA-10351.jpg

51523-pk-p1.jpg

Black Pearl - https://www.buckeyepepper.com/black-pearl?search=pearl or http://thehippyseedcompany.com/product/black-pearl-pepper/ (can't remember)

ga_d2d10cfc5858bf98_spcms.jpg

black-pearl.png

capsicumannuumblackpearl_aa-1_lg_0.jpg
DSC_0757.jpg

Purple Jalapeno - http://www.tomatogrowers.com/PURPLE-JALAPENO/productinfo/9437/

9437.jpg

pp10purplejalapeno.jpg
jalapeno-purple-107-500x500.jpg

Pink Tiger - http://chilli-seedz.com/product/pink-tiger-original/

202727-a6b3bb549232411b96d920d5935af2da.jpeg

$_1.JPG

Posted by Jamison from THP (below)
20140302_100748_zps4dpximly.jpg

posted by Smileyguy697 on THP (below)
CAM02463_zps7539693b.jpg

Purple Tiger - http://thehippyseedcompany.com/product/purple-tiger-chilli/

Purple-Tiger2a-copy-e1432729244794.jpg

615f346442dd757db32c637f939ea143.jpg

If anyone has any purple pepper plants, please fell free to post some pics and let me know what they are!!

I'm just starting this purple fever, so suggestions welcome.

Last Saturday my grow-bro from the canna forums told me to bring my helmet along with me when I went to visit and BAM... Next thing I know we're putting down the Beach on a couple of scooters!

SUCH A BLAST!
image1_zpsq7gpzfkt.jpg

Look at me go!! I even went into full-crouch on one of the faster streets (we were going like 65ish). With 150cc engine, that drag really matters! :)
image9_zpshrecvdzd.jpg

I sold my silver CBR1000RR years ago to pay for my wife's engagement ring, and to take responsibility, LOL. Thankfully I saved my helmet. Once my son grows up, I'll be back on a bike. But after playing around on these scooters, something seems to be itching.

I'm not exactly sure what this is, but I grew it last year and the seeds were labeled "Naglah Brown".

JlUtfo2.jpg

jSu30AP.jpg

Cm1UHKR.jpg

I have a few seeds of the of the stock that I grew from, if you're interested. But I'm not sure if they'll all grow purple.

-Adam

Bhuter said:
I'm not exactly sure what this is, but I grew it last year and the seeds were labeled "Naglah Brown".

I have a few seeds of the of the stock that I grew from, if you're interested. But I'm not sure if they'll all grow purple.

-Adam

Thanks for sharing! Absolutely, I'm interested. I'll pm you. I like pheno hunting. One of the best things about pheno hunting for purple is that once you build a cache of one seed, you can run a hundred at a time and see the most colorful ones early on! Pass on the rest to coworkers or family and friends before recycling, and sit pretty with the real pick(s) of the litter. :)

...If plant color is your goal, that is.

fwiw I'm absolutely aware that this is in not how one really does bonsai, but I had an old pot and a lot of seedlings to play with, lol. So in it went. I plan to take this to the office. The desks came equipped with a 4 foot led strip for cubicles. Lucky for me, teehee, they're only held in place by magnets and have a regular wall plug. So now, my desk has 4 of those strips above where this plant is going. The building pays for the electricity, so the managing partners don't mind.

This is just for fun, so simply enjoy the colors as they unfold with me!

Black Pearl
IMG_4169_zpsurfsafbs.jpg

IMG_4175_zpsh9nruwpz.jpg

Buried the stem just a little bit to uncover some bonus roots in later months.
IMG_4180_zpsm0a5igen.jpg

I placed it where the light above it turns off for 4ish hours during the hottest time of the day, but the other one (a foot away) stays on 24/7. I'm trying to influence just a tiny bit of lean to shape the base trunk super early on. Heck, never know where this may go.
IMG_4181_zpsese0wk2i.jpg

D3monic said:
Yaki brown tasted surprisingly good. Another good purple choice is Fidalga roxa. tastes like a spicy can of sprite. 

Thanks!

I just ordered the Cheiro, Roxa, and the Cabaca. I like how they're chinense and the shape of the Cabaca is very interesting. Plus it sounds like the flavor is pretty unique. Might make for interesting crosses at some point. I couldn't help myself. I just need to remember not to buy too much, lol. I appreciate the suggestion. 

I like the purple serranos. Very simple, jalapeno-like shape, decent flavor, and heat where I can snack on them. I may end up getting some later on. For how basic of a plant they are, like the purple cayenne and jalapeno, I will probably end up getting some of those seeds next season (to help save $ now). The only reason I got the purple jalapeno early on is because it is going to go into our garden window, and we really like the base jalapeno flavor. I know it's  hardly even a mild pepper for most pepper heads, but out of all the plants I grew over the last few years, the basic jalapeno has always seemed to be my favorite flavor.

Though, I do love my trinidad moruga scorpion (smokey flavor pheno) but I cannot snack on that by any means. I use a pinch of powder and anything it goes in is instantly insanely hot! - makes GREAT beef jerky!! Sorry, tangent.

But, thank you, very much for the suggestion!

The one in your pic has good purple calyx and stems. More so than I usually see on purple serranos. I like it.

D3monic said:
Yaki brown tasted surprisingly good. Another good purple choice is Fidalga roxa. tastes like a spicy can of sprite. 

You know... I was thinking. Shishito peppers, another Japanese variety, tastes really good when grilled/sauteed. I wonder if the Yaki varieties are close to the shishito in flavor...

D3monic said:
Not at all like it. More like chocolate hab or bhut but without the battery acid/ flower notes

Oh, good to know. My least favorite flavor is the habanero type, but sometimes something close but different can be a good thing. Plus, I'm not a fan of that bitter, acidy-floral taste. I prefer smokey and sweets.

Thanks for the input D3monic!!

Back