• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Reishii

Have tried to grow them with no luck so I buy them for health reasons, helps me sleep. The past year its been very hard to find and triple the price (used to counter radiation poisoning), mainly used for the immune system.
I boil them up and make tea, also used in soups.

P1070056_RedReishii-1000_zpsioy12lst.jpg
P1070057_RedReishii-1000_zpsabqf2uir.jpg

Nice ones. I have grown them myself from a kit, and got a nice few.  From  this site fungi.com under indoor growing. I intend on growing shiitakes soon.
http://www.fungi.com/shop/indoor-growing.html

I noticed that a mild light really helps to bring them to their potential, and enlarge them. I had no problem but it did take some time for the first to pop up. I kept it consistently moist without over doing it. 
What was cool, after it stopped growing, i broke up the kit and put it on some small branches a few months old in soil, then the following year I had more sprout. One of the best ways to grow these is to buy the wooden plugs. Use hardwood several months old, drill holes into them all over, then hammer them in. Find a shady spot, but with a small amount of dappled light, and bury them half way into the ground. Keep the log moist and you will get a lot more this way. Can take a year after starting, but will flush out a lot more than the kits.

Oak is some of the best wood to use for them. Just make sure its free of other fungus, and not super fresh or old. 3 to 4 months old oak works really well with them. They are a bit hard to grow, and many give up before they start their first flush. 

This is some of the ones I grew over 10 years ago. They didn't have enough fresh air exchange, didnt know about that back then, was just starting.
I have some Oak sawdust, I might try and extract some spores from this batch I bought and make a concentrate.
P9051093_Reishi-1000_zpsfcdac193.jpg

my favorite part about growing mushrooms is that its like having sea monkeys for a pet. Except instead of flushing them down the toilet, you get to eat them instead!

Back