• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Superhot fermented Sriracha sauce

Measured out one pound if mixed red super hots i grew last season and chop them up fine in my blender and mixed in 10 teaspoons of pink salt and let them ferment in a mason jar with an airlock lid for two weeks.  Pulled them out yesterday and blended up apple vinegar, honey, juice and zest of one large orange and added salt and half a onion.  Blended till smooth and cooked it outside on my portable electric burner.  Make sure you stir it while it cooks it has a tendency to bubble and make a mess.  Came out volcanic hot.   Added maybe half a cup of vinegar.

IMG_4195.jpg

it only made about 4 bottles so you can imagine how hot it is.

jedisushi06 said:
Measured out one pound if mixed red super hots i grew last season and chop them up fine in my blender and mixed in 10 teaspoons of pink salt and let them ferment in a mason jar with an airlock lid for two weeks.  Pulled them out yesterday and blended up apple vinegar, honey, juice and zest of one large orange and added salt and half a onion.  Blended till smooth and cooked it outside on my portable electric burner.  Make sure you stir it while it cooks it has a tendency to bubble and make a mess.  Came out volcanic hot.   Added maybe half a cup of vinegar.

attachicon.gif
IMG_4195.jpg
it only made about 4 bottles so you can imagine how hot it is.

Pink salt as in Cure #1 with sodium nitrite? Or something along the lines of Himalayan pink salt?

Sounds great, would like to try it soon.

OCD Chilehead said:
Awesome Mikey!!

That looks great. That's the type of heat I like.

I take Sriracha and dump a healthy amount of super powder in it.

I can never replicate the flavor and taste of the original.

Nice job!
thank you brother.  Going to make a larger batch soon i'll send you a bottle.  I'll keep you posted.

I wouldn't touch pink himalayan salt myself, it tastes funny and has been proven to contain homeopathic level traces of arsenic, among other "healthy" minerals. Aside from that, it sounds great.
You've got one of my favourite types of vinegar, plenty of fruitiness and a touch of honey that I feel goes underutilized in sauces, atleast over here.

spicefreak said:
I wouldn't touch pink himalayan salt myself, it tastes funny and has been proven to contain homeopathic level traces of arsenic, among other "healthy" minerals. Aside from that, it sounds great.
You've got one of my favourite types of vinegar, plenty of fruitiness and a touch of honey that I feel goes underutilized in sauces, atleast over here.
but i'm sure you use tap water right?  It also contains low levels of toxins in it like aresnic.  Did you forget they use chemicals to treat water supplies?  What about all that toxic runoff that ends up in our rainwater?  You can't avoid chemicals these days.

In actuality, I'm pretty picky about my tap water and will only use half the taps in my house because the others just taste nasty. I understand though that it's just my pickiness and the chemical content is not a big deal. To be perfectly honest, it's the flavour I care about anyway and, with your salt, that'd be well and truly covered by the rest of the sauce. Just seems silly to me to use fancy pink stuff when there's perfectly good sea salt sold cheaper.

Back