• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Which Pepper in Which Pot?

Hey all,

I'll be transplanting in the next few days and I wonder if you can help me with a question. I'm growing Carolina Reaper, Trinidad Scorpion, Nagalah, Brazilian Starfish and a mystery Ecuadoran Pube (sorry i don't have more info on this). I have pots of various sizes ranging from 3 to12 gallons. Basically wondering which plants if any should go in the biggest pots and which in the smallest (if indeed there is any difference between strains). 

Thanks so much pepper people! 

Generally bigger the pot the bigger the plant though there's some exceptions. 

I never grown a pube so not sure on what they like. Baccatums can get pretty big and i'm sure the brazilian starfish would appreciate a larger pot. Are you planning on overwintering any of these?

It is to my understanding that the bigger root surface area a plant is able to create the more surface area the plant has to react with nutrients, mychorizzae, water etc. So I would go for the plant that you want to produce the most in the biggest pot as it will grow the largest. Also factors like root bound are much harder to come by in a twelve gallon pot than a three. But I think for one seasons thInking bigger pot, bigger plant.
Link to a video of Dorset naga chillis grown in two different pots. Same conditions age etc. but the plant in the biggest pot is much larger.

D3monic said:
Generally bigger the pot the bigger the plant though there's some exceptions. 

I never grown a pube so not sure on what they like. Baccatums can get pretty big and i'm sure the brazilian starfish would appreciate a larger pot. Are you planning on overwintering any of these?

Yes, I'll probably bring a few in (in the moderate to smaller pots) so that will be part of the equation but I'm looking to maximize some if possible. I'll give the starfish some room to grow for sure based on this, thanks! 

If you are in Toronto, you'll not have much joy in a single season grow of those superhots.  I'm not sure if it's going to make much difference, either way.  If you give them room to grow, they will grow.  And the Reaper, in particular, has a tendency to shoot up really tall before it starts to bush out.  What I'm trying to say, is that it spends a good amount of time just "growing", and after a few months of that, will start to set pods like madbusters.  So if you don't have a plan to bring it in for the winter, you may just want to keep it small.

solid7 said:
If you are in Toronto, you'll not have much joy in a single season grow of those superhots.  I'm not sure if it's going to make much difference, either way.  If you give them room to grow, they will grow.  And the Reaper, in particular, has a tendency to shoot up really tall before it starts to bush out.  What I'm trying to say, is that it spends a good amount of time just "growing", and after a few months of that, will start to set pods like madbusters.  So if you don't have a plan to bring it in for the winter, you may just want to keep it small.
Second that.

Personally I would keep the prized plants in the smaller pots so they can come straight indoors without having to have roots hacked off etc. for over-wintering. Alternatively, depending on your facilities, plant a few in one big pot, again, looking ahead in preparation for winter and 2017 season.

I live in a slightly warmer climate than you do, and the availbility of sunlight and warmth have been nearly insurmountable obstacles without artificial intervention.

Put the pube in the smaller one and overwinter it. In my limited experience you'll need 2nd year to get good production from the pubes. At that point transfer to bigger as they will get large. All the ones you mentioned I *think are not short compact varieties so just give them as big as you got. 5+ will work.

Back