• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Squirrel/Rodent Nesting Question

Good Morning Everyone!
I have an unusual question today. I was getting my planters out of storage yesterday to prep for potting this weekend. I noticed that some squirrels or other rodents had made nests in a few of them over the winter. I'm not an expert in pathology so I was wondering if there is any cause for concern for using these pots this year? I obviously cleaned out the nesting material but should I be concerned with any residual droppings or other excrements leaching into the soil and being taken up into the roots of the plants? Would love to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks!

Sent from my Robin using Tapatalk

Pots are fine, just keep hands clean when done. Mice and small rodents cans carry nasty diseases depending where you are. Especially their poo. If alot just mist bedding and poo to avoid dust. Alot safer.

If trace amounts of mouse shit can be harmful when broken down and utilized by a plant, then God help us all...  I'd suggest you never EVER eat anything that contains ingredients from a flour mill again, in your life. :rolleyes:

solid7 said:
If trace amounts of mouse shit can be harmful when broken down and utilized by a plant, then God help us all...  I'd suggest you never EVER eat anything that contains ingredients from a flour mill again, in your life. :rolleyes:

^This figure even the FDA allows it without being broken down and utilized !!
From  Huffington post article on the FDA handbook ( http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/15/mouse-poop-fda-food_n_7572232.html )

The amount of excrement permitted varies from food to food. Many spices and herbs, including pepper, thyme, hot peppers, cinnamon bark and oregano, have a limit of 1 mg of excrement per pound of food. There are over 450,000 milligrams in a pound, so that’s a very small fraction. Some whole spices, such as fennel seeds, ginger and mace, have a slightly higher limit of 3 mg per pound. The highest limits are on cocoa beans (10 mg per pound) and wheat (9 mg per kilogram).

The handbook also specifies acceptable limits for other potential adulterants like mold, rot, rodent hairs, insect parts and insect larvae.

Back