#41 AJ Drew

AJ Drew

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts
  • aka:Da Boss's Dad

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:23 PM

Have seen grocery store bells for almost $3.00 a piece during the winter time.  I have seen them at the same grocery store 2 / $100 in the summer time.  For some reason, when you put a seasonal item online people forget it is a seasonal crop.  From what I can tell, $18.00 / mixed sfrb shipped is excellent this time of the year.

I did $10.00 / sfrb last fall right before first frost because better in the belly than rotting on the plant.  People loved it.  Then when I was scraping to heat the high tunnel, someone hijacked a thread to complain about my prices and tell me how much cheaper his favorite souse was.  Yep, in the dead of winter fresh produce costs more.

I try to focus on the customers who become patrons, the folk who understand the seasonal nature of fresh produce.

This Year Makes or Breaks Us - Please Share, Link, & Consider

Dragon's Breath, Big Mama, Colorful Reapers: Fresh this Summer

Click here for Peppers by Mail P.B.M.

#42 Vicious Vex

Vicious Vex

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • aka:VV

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:57 AM

Have seen grocery store bells for almost $3.00 a piece during the winter time.  I have seen them at the same grocery store 2 / $100 in the summer time.  For some reason, when you put a seasonal item online people forget it is a seasonal crop.  From what I can tell, $18.00 / mixed sfrb shipped is excellent this time of the year.

I did $10.00 / sfrb last fall right before first frost because better in the belly than rotting on the plant.  People loved it.  Then when I was scraping to heat the high tunnel, someone hijacked a thread to complain about my prices and tell me how much cheaper his favorite souse was.  Yep, in the dead of winter fresh produce costs more.

I try to focus on the customers who become patrons, the folk who understand the seasonal nature of fresh produce.

folks never seem to grasp that concept due to the availability of food in our consumer world.   

What made me appreciate it was attempting to preserve enough to last my family through a winter.   Then noticing when we ran out, if this had been 100 years ago, we would have starved.   Very sobering experience trying to live off what you can produce.  

Made me really appreciate being able to buy a bottle of hot sauce online in the middle of the winter.  - Let alone fresh pods. 

When to worry:  Can you fix it? If yes, You can fix it. So stop worrying.  If you can't fix it?  There is nothing you can do. So stop worrying.

#43 AJ Drew

AJ Drew

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:51 PM

Vex, start paying attention to not only price but availability of produce off season.  Many things that have traditionally come from south of the US boarder are no longer available due to hardships there.  It think our future holds more and more canned or otherwise preserved foods from the grocery store.  Kind of scary when you realize that as a more or less capitalist economy, our food is sold to the highest bidder.  Imagine if Venezuela had plenty of money but were in their current state of needing produce.  Our prices would go sky high due to the competition.  Its not happening because their economy is also shot.

Thing is, imagine if China or another up and coming economy were to run out of food due to drought, blight, or some other reason but they still had to coin to buy from other nations.  Wow.

#44 salsalady

salsalady

On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 14,814 posts
  • aka:SL, HSL
  • (x8)

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:39 PM

For those who may not realize, I make and sell fresh salsa in addition to the sauces etc people see online.  Been at it for 20 years.  About 2 months ago, I went to buy produce for a batch of salsa and it was $56 for a case of green peppers, $45 a case (x3) for Roma tomatoes, both of those are usually less than $25/case. $50 for 40 pounds of onions...a 50# bag of onions is usually $10-$15. 

So...What do I do?  Make Salsa or Not?  The pass just opened that week, which means lots of visitors to the valley, it's opening of fishing season the coming weekend......all the stores are OUT of salsa.....leave 'em hangin' with no fresh local salsa?  Or... suck it up, make a batch with 0% profit to keep the stores stocked and the customers loyal.....???

The stores had salsa for the weekend. 

I'm noone special, it's just what ya do when it's your own business.  It's also a factor in why I charge $5.49/16oz of fresh salsa, compared to other refrigerated salsas that have a 6 month pull date.  Obviously, if that was the prices all the time that would not work for a good business model.  But for one batch out of the last 5 years, gotta suck it up. 

There was a time about 5 years ago when the price of tomatoes was $6.00 a pound.  Luckily it was in March, the slowest sales month of the year, so that time I did let it go for about 3 weeks until the prices came down. 

People who compare my salsa to Pace and bitch about the price just don't get it....:nope:

PureEvilProducts
The Chile Addict's prayer-"Lord, grant me the wisdom to know it will be too hot, the courage to eat it anyway, and the serenity to accept the pain that follows. Amen"
PepperPeopleRock! 

#45 TNKS

TNKS

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts
  • aka:TNKS

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:16 PM

^^ Integrity ^^
Period . . . . .  .

#46 AJ Drew

AJ Drew

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:18 PM

SalsaLady said: "People who compare my salsa to Pace and bitch about the price just don't get it....:nope:"

Once sold a pattern welded sword / large knife to a kid for what he said he could afford.  Had refused to sell it to a dentist who tried to get my price down.  Dentist saw me sell it to the kid and got angry.  I explained that the dentist didn't get it cause he didn't get it.  I get it, kid gets it, some folk just don't.  I think it is by subject matter.  Some folk appreciate fresh produce, some folk couldnt care less.  I love good dark German bier.  Some folk just want to get drunk.

#47 Rymerpt

Rymerpt

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,910 posts
  • aka:Ryme

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:43 AM

^^^^^ you are a good man AJ ^^^^^^
THANK YOU JESUS. PEPPER PEOPLE ROCK!!!!

#48 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 49,018 posts
  • aka:Pookie, Satan Claus
  • (x3)

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:35 AM

#49 Scoville DeVille

Scoville DeVille

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,262 posts
  • aka:Sofa King
  • Location:Middle of the top of the upper left corner of the lower 48
  • (x7)

Posted 28 May 2016 - 12:30 PM

:rofl: :rofl:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PayPaltransaction, vendor, fee, USPS, Priority Mail, shipping, cost

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests