• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Novelty Label Review

So I have a weekend coming up with a group of 20 guys from college. We hang around for a long weekend and all drink together and catch up. We lived in Hamilton Hall in college and Hamilton Hall Guys Weekend is what we call the weekend together. 

This label is by no means suitable for salable items or production sauce. It is strictly for friends and as a novelty.

Each year we have a theme for the weekend, noted on the left of the label. There are a lot of inside jokes in the label that you probably won't understand. But I am looking for overall aesthetic feel and color combination feedback. 

Thoughts on the label before it goes to print?

HHGW-Sauce-R3.jpg

Blue is not a real food color. Not many blue hot sauce labels out there. Maroon would pick up the orange in the peppers, green would look fresh.

The center portion needs to be centered within the frame border (see Hamilton's Revenge especially).

Edit: If those are your college colors totally makes sense.

LOL!

I always read the label first before what is said in the post, and this time it all worked out! :rofl:

I was like "4:20"? aww c'mon man... "wear tennis shoes for..." WTF???

Then I read your post.

Dude. If you brought this to one of my "old buddy get togethers" it would be a smash hit!

Great job!

Overall, I give it 7 out of 10 LMAO:

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Scoville DeVille said:
LOL!

I always read the label first before what is said in the post, and this time it all worked out! :rofl:

I was like "4:20"? aww c'mon man... "wear tennis shoes for..." WTF???

Then I read your post.

Dude. If you brought this to one of my "old buddy get togethers" it would be a smash hit!

Great job!

Overall, I give it 7 out of 10 LMAO:

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:
Ha! I didn't even realize the 4.20 sauce label. That is actually my own reference system I use for recipes. Major recipe #4 (Habanero Based), individual batch .20. I then have an excel file with all my major recipes in different tabs and columns for the ingredients, weights, and directions for each iteration of sauce. I put the recipe label on the side of each label so that I can quickly cross reference and get to the right recipe for making notes on future changes and inputting feedback into my files. 

Nulle said:
Not being a native english speaker I could very well be wrong, but isn't notorious spelled wrong?
Yes, fixed. 

The Hot Pepper said:
Blue is not a real food color. Not many blue hot sauce labels out there. Maroon would pick up the orange in the peppers, green would look fresh.

The center portion needs to be centered within the frame border (see Hamilton's Revenge especially).

Edit: If those are your college colors totally makes sense.
Penn State - so blue and white. I originally was using the same orange hue as the peppers and it was just obnoxious. I'll mess around with the maroon when I get home tonight and see how that looks. 

Thank you all for the feedback. 

Looks good.  Main thing I look for on hobby/novelty sauce labels is Ingredients.  :check: 

Hope y'all have a great 4.20 weekend!  :lol:

noob~  are laser printing or injet printing?

I use avery labels with a B/W Brother laser printer and don't have trouble with ink running.  The labels wrinkle if the jars sweat, but once they get back in the refer, the labels smooth out.  Definitely not as durable as professionally printed roll stock labels, but for small runs, I don't have problems.  Most people don't have color laser printers at home so I'm guessing it's an injet???

total noobsauce said:
What material do you use for the labels?
I used some avery labels but the ink runs when any moisture gets on the bottles because they are just sticky paper.

You need waterproof labels. Yes, this exists for inkjet, the label locks the ink in a coating. The same way photo paper does for printing photos, which as you know look terrible with laser. Ink is used for major labels, in an off-set environment.

http://www.onlinelabels.com/weatherproof-labels.aspx

Laser (toner) = documents/graphs/text

Ink = images/photos/graphics

The Hot Pepper said:

You need waterproof labels. Yes, this exists for inkjet, the label locks the ink in a coating. The same way photo paper does for printing photos, which as you know look terrible with laser. Ink is used for major labels, in an off-set environment.

http://www.onlinelabels.com/weatherproof-labels.aspx

Laser (toner) = documents/graphs/text

Ink = images/photos/graphics

awesome - this looks good!
im using an inkjet

Overall the sauce was a big hit at the weekend. Most people really liked the flavor profile of the sauce. I did find a few typos that were too late to fix, so I had to go to production with them. 

I leveraged uprinting.com for printing the labels, a first for me. I opted for the 70lb. high gloss paper, which I think produced a really nice professional style label. I think my sizing was slightly off. I used a 5.75" x 2.25" label. The 5.75" was spot on to wrap the bottle with just a slight opening at the back of the sticker. The 2.25" could have been significantly larger, maybe 2.75" or even 3" with enough room to still see the sauce in the bottle. 

Overall the price point for a quantity of 25 labels was $21 plus shipping. I ended up paying $19 for shipping since I made the bone headed maneuver of forgetting to process the order until 4 days before the event on a holiday weekend. That forced me pony up and pay for a 2 day shipping. 

I will transfer over some pictures of the sauce and bottles later tonight when I get around to it. 

TW

Back