• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Disasterous day...

Well, we've had nearly 3 weeks of rain and gloomy weather here. As such I've spent very little time in the garden.

Yesterday was beautiful and I managed to sneak into the garden for a couple hours of needed maintenance. Tied up some tomatoes, picked some weeds, re-trained the cucumbers back onto the trellis...

I also found that my squash all have this fuzzy, sporey looking mold stuff on some of their leaves. I clipped those off. My cucumbers have the same thing so I clipped those off. My tomatoes all have blight to on degree or another. On one tomato the blight had taken the whole branch + part of the stem so I grabbed and exacto knife and cut out the bad stuff, right into the stem. Covered it up with some duct tape. Figured that the plants a goner anyways, if this helps the green tomatoes turn ripe, then it's worthwhile. Last year I found out about the fun of blight first hand... lost a whole lot of tomatoes to it.

Then I noticed that the rain had caused quite a few of my kohlrabi and beets to split, which was mildly unexpected - I knew I was going to lose a lot of tomatoes, which I did; but I expected those two hard root type of plants to be fine. Now I wonder about my carrots.

I also noticed that nearly all of my peppers have a problem. They all have little pieces of their branches and leaves (sometimes with a pepper attached) that have dried out and are woody. It looks like some form of pepper blight, yay.

Plus, although my garden has a wide variety of plants in a small space, I have an aphid infestation across most of my peppers. I put out ant traps as I know aphids are farmed by ant's. I bought a big bottle of safers soap and went to town on my potted peppers. Got everything soaking wet. Hopefully that helps. I left the peppers in the garden to mother nature. Lets see if she helps.

And finally... the mice are back. They've eaten 3 green tomatoes that I can see so far. But I have hundreds of green tomatoes on the vines still so I know they'll be back. Joyous!

Ahhh, and I was saying having a garden was stress relieving, lol :mouthonfire:

Wow! That is a bunch of bad news. We've had a decent summer, though we are in our August/September drought now (about .6 inch of rain since the middle of April with temps in the upper 80s to low 90s.

Mike

Yah... my garden is/was doing quite well. Blight on the tomatoes is something all gardeners here have to deal with I understand. Apparently it is transported by the rain. This year I had hoped to build a little awning/roof over my tomatoes but I never got around to it :|

Next year... I hope - who knows what my time will be like with our little girl coming any day now.

It's a little disheartening to have your garden go from amazing emerald green to a listless pale green colour in just a few short weeks. But that's Vancouver, tons of rain and not a lot of sun. Maybe I should try to convince the wife to move to Maui again :)

Anyways, I think it's nearly time to start seriously thinking about hydroponics. Leave the garden to lettuce, herbs and the really easy, hardy stuff and grow peppers and tomatoes indoors under some CFL or LED lighting.

You have had a really HARD summer my friend and one problem after another i hope you can find a system..Hydro or not to hopefully have a more productive time :)

Some pics:

CIMG0955.JPG

CIMG0956.JPG

CIMG0957.JPG

CIMG0958.JPG

Sorry to hear that you have problem my friend usually if you have problem like that try some time to use the water from washing mashine to water your plants by the roots that might help little because lot of bugs dont't like that like natural repellent also kill bacteria.

lostmind said:

hi there,

the first picture of the peppers with the faint brown lines of them.. what is that caused from exactly ? is that the start of ripening, or some fungus ? my plant seems to look like that as well... thanks

is this normal as well ?

white lines on the fruit of peppers ? almost as if there is no colour pigment running from the stem to the bottom of the fruit and sometimes just in patches ?

A bad sign? Could be, I'm definitely not lucky :)

The lines on the banana peppers are actually purple, but I believe they are caused from the sun as said. As a side note, I cut that banana pepper plant off about an inch from the soil line. It was infected right thru the stem and the plant started swaying in the wind.

As for your white lines, I haven't seen that myself.

Here you go...You can see the lines/Patches on the bottom pod,Its really a question finding preventative measures for the plants that work in your environment,I noticed when i started using epson salts on the outdoor plants i had zero aphids and with a good tomato feed or chili focus/biobizz or other fertilizers it worked very well outside..Hard spray the plants to with a good hose regularly the aphids hate that and use 915 method occasionally to,my plants have been outdoors since late may and even though the weather has been cool and very damp..temp not above 24 and down to as low as 8 they've done ok..itll be tracking down all your pests and getting results you need..please don't let this year put you of

mini-DSC02470.jpg

I was thinking about your problems...with all the rain you have had, what has the temperature been?...If it has been fairly warm, you could have a touch of root rot...the mechanism of root rot is the fungus in the soil prefers a dark, wet, warm medium to florish in...as the fungus florishes, it is taken up by the plants plumbing...once the fungus gets into the plumbing of the plant where all the nutrients and moisture are being transported, the fungus grows and reduces the "circulation" to parts of the plants...the plant essentially has "hardening of the arteries" or arteriosclerosis...the fungus acts like the cholesterol buildup in your arteries...

sorry to ramble...

willard gave a tip a few weeks back when I was battling root rot about using 1 Tbsp of hydrogen peroxide (3%) per gallon of water...if you are not sure this is root rot and you have a plant that is "sacrifice-able", pull it up, wash the roots off, take your forefinger and thumb and pull down on the sheath covering the root...if the sheath is kinda brownish and slips down the root easily, you have root rot...healthy roots are almost white looking...again JMO

Back