• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

DIY Pro Mix?

So apparently every big box store around me stopped carrying Pro Mix and the mom and pop shops are way too pricey. However, I can get 3 cu ft moss bags for $10. Can I try to spin my own?

My thoughts were...

Peat Moss
All Purpose 10-10-10
Lime Pellets
Perlite
Vermiculite
Epsom Salt
Mycos

This for transferring to 5 gallon pots. Not sure how much of each I should use either.

Thoughts?

"Best thing is to combine Pine bark fines, green manure, some rock dust, little bit of bone meal and gypsum and a touch of potash, and bam! Perfect organic soil. Just check the ph and adjust it with a touch of lime until it reaches close to 6 to 6.5 or so."         AaronTT

From an earlier conversation we had

Grass Snake said:
"Best thing is to combine Pine bark fines, green manure, some rock dust, little bit of bone meal and gypsum and a touch of potash, and bam! Perfect organic soil. Just check the ph and adjust it with a touch of lime until it reaches close to 6 to 6.5 or so."         AaronTT

From an earlier conversation we had

PH adjustment is not needed for that mix.  Neither gypsum nor dolomite are required for a "perfect organic" mix.  Check your PH if you are going to feed regular ferts, but if you're rolling organic, it's unnecessary.    There isn't anything in that list of ingredients that is going to unacceptably unbalance your PH, except for possibly...  the dolomite and gypsum.

solid7 said:

PH adjustment is not needed for that mix.  Neither gypsum nor dolomite are required for a "perfect organic" mix.  Check your PH if you are going to feed regular ferts, but if you're rolling organic, it's unnecessary.    There isn't anything in that list of ingredients that is going to unacceptably unbalance your PH, except for possibly...  the dolomite and gypsum.
Sounds like a good debate, but I think QQ's answer was more what the OP was looking for.

Back